Communications and Public Relations (PR) Assistant
- Job posted by Atlantic Avenue Local Development Corporation
Details: To be determined based on skills and experience, between $16-$17 per hour
Position Title: Communications and Public Relations (PR) Assistant
Temporary Contract: Immediate hire until December 2018 (possibility for permanent hire after initial contract term)
Days/Hours: PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY
YOU MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR THIS SCHEDULE THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE CONTRACT TERM
September 10 through September 21: Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm (30 hours per week)
44th Annual Atlantic Antic™ Festival, Sunday, September 23: 7am to 8pm
September 26 - December 31: Monday to Thursday, 10am to 4pm (24 hours per week)
Rate of Pay: To be determined based on skills and experience, between $16-$17 per hour
Deadline: Accepting applications until filled.
Anticipated Start Date: September 10, 2018
Reports to: Executive Director
About the Organization:
The Atlantic Avenue Local Development Corporation (AALDC) is a Section 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. The organization's mission is to further economic development, historic preservation, and cultural enrichment in the greater Atlantic Avenue area. The AALDC provides information, advocacy, produces events and projects that promote economic growth and vitality, for the preservation and development in downtown Brooklyn and neighboring communities.
For one day each year, the AALDC presents the largest and oldest street festival in Brooklyn, the Annual Atlantic Antic™ Festival. The Atlantic Antic™ brings together hundreds of thousands of people to Atlantic Avenue to celebrate the longstanding tradition of food, art, music, shopping, festivities, and fun.
In 2015, the AALDC launched its Youth Community Scholarship Program which provides opportunities for children ages 4 to eighteen, who live or attend school in Districts 13 and 15, to attend local summer and fall arts, sports and educational enrichment programs. The AALDC Youth Community Scholarship Program has expanded its partnerships and is now in its fourth program cycle.
Communications & PR Assistant Summary:
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Communications & PR Assistant is responsible for performing communications, marketing and public relations assistance, daily social media posting, administrative work, and customer/client service that pertain to special events, programs and all aspects of the organization’s operations.
Duties of the position include:
- Assist Executive Director with communication of marketing and programming elements
- Assist Executive Director with review of copy and graphic edits to Atlantic Antic™ marketing and promotional materials
- Assist Executive Director with Day-of Event Communications, logistics and administrative tasks (9-23-18)
Marketing and Public Relations
- Submit event calendar listings and postings to online and print publications
- Assist in writing and proofreading press releases, print and online events and program collateral
- Research various resources for securing additional marketing and promotional results for the AALDC and Atlantic Avenue Merchants
- Assist in outreach and partnerships with elected officials, corporate and community partners
- Take professional photos and shoot short length video coverage of local businesses, partners and programs
Social Media Posting
- Daily posting to the organization’s social media accounts as assigned and approved
- Provide suggested copy, images and ideas for social media posting schedule
- Conduct phone calls and e-mails for events and programs
- Assist in events application preparation: print application and participation package distribution, online and print application processing and collection of all required documents
- Perform data-entry and editing to marketing and sponsorship databases
- Answer telephone calls, check voicemail and e-mail messages
- Make copies and scanning documents
- Organize documents into computer filing system; organize various binders
- Assist in office organization and weekly clean-up efforts
- Assist with document/file research
- Provide excellent communications to customers/clients for all events and programs; answer questions and provide application assistance
- Assist with securing Sponsors, Media Partners and Programming Performers; Assist in the coordination of Corporate Sponsor deliverables and communications
- Assist with events administration and customer/client troubleshooting including day-of-event
- Assist with post event follow-up correspondence and wrap-up
Other duties and tasks may be assigned, as needed
- Experience writing press releases; must have at least one year of experience
- Experience with proofreading documents, articles or publications, must have at least two years of experience
- Experience with maintaining and posting to social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for a company or nonprofit organization; must have at least two years of experience
- Experience using Hootsuite a plus
- Experience with videography, video editing and photography, must have at least two years of experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite; Word and Excel is a MUST
- Experience with GMAIL is a MUST
- Experience with Google Drive; Google Sheets and Google Docs is a MUST
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; having an outgoing and friendly personality is a plus
- Experience assisting with media partnerships or sponsorships; must have at least two years of experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and communicate with clients/customers who have diverse personalities
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Experience working as part of a team
- Very detail oriented and organized
- Quick learner
- Solid writing skills
- MUST be fluent in the English language
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and resume through Indeed.
You must also provide at least one press release writing sample and two social media post samples (at least one on Facebook and at least one on either Instagram or Twitter).
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE .
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE> APPLICANTS WHO CALL PRIOR TO RECEIVING AN INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.