Title: Finance Manager
Reports to: Finance Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $76,500-81,600
Location: NYC - Temporarily remote
Tentative Start Date: TBD
About Race Forward
Race Forward's mission is to catalyze movement building for racial justice. In partnership with communities, organizations, and sectors, we build strategies to advance racial justice in our policies, institutions, and culture. Race Forward imagines a just, multiracial democratic society free from oppression and exploitation, in which people of color thrive with power and purpose.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
The Finance Manager is responsible for Race Forward's Accounting functions. The Finance Manager will report to and work closely with the Finance Director and the Vice President of Finance & Administration and is responsible for the day-to-day accounting and finance functions of the organization ensuring timely and accurate month end closings, reporting and analysis. The Finance Manager will analyze every day financial activities and subsequently provide advice and guidance to upper management on future financial plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Day-to-day accounting functions
- Manage all day-to-day accounting processes including cash receipts, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, bank transfers, cash flow, accounts payable, and reconciliations
- Review and approve all appropriate journal, recurring, allocating, accrual and adjusting entries
- Review and approve all reconciliations and schedules prepared by staff
- Oversee all fixed asset record keeping, management and processes
- Sign off on changes to the Chart of Accounts
Month-end closing and preparation of financial reports
- Ensures all transactions are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and updated revenue recognition regulations.
- Ensures reconciliation of key balance sheet accounts and large revenue and expense accounts
- Prepares month-end schedules with the support of the AP Accountant
- Reviews and approves bank reconciliations
- Generates accurate and timely monthly and annual financial reports
Annual Audit Process
- Liaise with external auditors and ensure an unqualified annual audit
- Prepare audit schedules with the support of the Accounting staff
- In partnership with Development staff: create grant reports; review grant award documents, create budgets and related financial reports, and collect information needed to accurately project revenue
- In partnership with Program staff: create budgets for grant and contract proposals, report on grant and contract spending, and collect information needed to accurately project revenue and expenses
- In partnership with Compliance staff, note any grant or contract requirements that require organizational financial and/or administrative policy shifts
- Ensure proper salary allocations to grant proposals and reporting
Manage Accounting Staff
- Effectively manage staff to create and maintain a high-performing, committed, cohesive department
- Officiate weekly/monthly meetings with staff
- Annually evaluate the performance of staff
- Support the hiring, training, and cross-training of staff
- Support the annual organization budget process, and upload budgets into the accounting system
- In partnership with the Finance Coordinator, assume AP and AR Accountants duties when needed
- Perform other responsibilities as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform successfully in this role, incumbent should possess skills identified below:
- Working experience with multiple accounting systems, and Salesforce preferred
- Exceptional knowledge of GAAP/FASB requirements.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with the implementation of accounting codes, general ledger account management, account reconciliation, account analysis, and preparation of financial statements
- Ability to communicate complex accounting principles in simple terms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exercises excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other sensitive matters
- Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work-related duties
- Strong motivation and an ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and assignments
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse colleagues
- Positive attitude and a strong desire to be a part of a diverse team
Qualifications and Experience
- BA in Accounting, CPA preferred or 5+ years Not for Profit Accounting experience
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- 5+ years Managerial experience, with the ability to build, motivate, and lead a finance team and interact constructively with managers of other areas
- Capable of managing a large, diverse, complex environment, focusing on the big picture while providing direction to staff
- Prior success working with staff to build a positive environment
- Ability to engage and inspire a wide range of audiences
- High level of integrity and standard of excellence
This position primarily involves sitting or standing for long periods of time at a computer and may also include moving objects up to 20 pounds. No travel is required.
How to Apply
External Applicants: To apply for this position, please click the link below. To ensure full consideration, please be sure to include both a cover letter and resume with your application.
Race Forward provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.