Details: The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Job Title: Conservation Representative - Clean Transportation for All
Reports To: Chapter Director
Context: Transportation is now the nation’s leading source of climate-disrupting pollution. In Maryland, the next big climate movement must incorporate progress toward a modern, clean, and equitable transportation system. The Maryland Chapter is searching for a Conservation Representative that will organize and implement conservation programs, campaigns, and initiatives to make our transportation systems cleaner, better serve the needs of those who rely on transit, and enable safe, healthy, walkable, bicycle-friendly and transit-oriented communities.
Scope: The Conservation Representative is responsible for working with the Chapter Director, Policy Director, volunteers, and other Conservation team members to develop and implement the Maryland Chapter’s Clean Transportation for All campaign. The Conservation Representative will work with volunteers and staff to recruit and train new volunteer leaders interested in working for a modern, clean transportation system in the state.The Conservation Representative is responsible for the coordination and effective implementation of the organizing goals within the Transportation Campaign. Participates in activities and services provided by the regional office. Provides leadership in working with volunteer leaders, national, state and local conservation staff on conservation. Evaluates and measures success of activities with manager and campaign or program leads to ensure progress towards the campaign or program's mission and goals. Helps determine changes to strategies needed to reach goals
- Develops and implements campaign strategies for conservation programs and projects in accordance with the chapter policy.
- Recruits and motivates volunteers and enables their role in the effectiveness of the chapter. Coordinates and facilitates grassroots involvement in conservation programs.
- Responsible for integrating the Sierra Club’s diversity and equity initiatives and values into the Transportation Campaign through new partnerships and engagement strategies where appropriate.
- Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding chapter conservation efforts in the transportation sector.
- Develops and maintains transformational relationships with partner organizations, grasstops leaders, and public officials.
- As needed, advocates the Sierra Club position on proposed legislation involving conservation programs; informs and communicates with elected officials, business leaders, governmental agencies, and other non‑profit organizations.
- Works with Chapter and National staff to writes press releases newsletters, flyers, etc. to keep the Club membership and the general public informed. Works closely with media representatives to insure that the message of the Club is accurately represented by the media.
- Coordinates efforts with the national headquarters staff and ensures that chapter conservation strategies are in compliance with national requirements.
- Assists with grant reporting and fundraising as assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- BA/BS degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
- 2-3 years experience in the environmental field that includes research and organizing campaigns, press relations and public speaking.
- Knowledge of climate action solutions within the transportation sector.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Background and savvy on transportation and transit issues, both technical and movement-oriented, if possible.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*Please apply at this link: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SIERRACLUB&cws=39&rid=1090&_ga=2.228282965.959708527.1522973655-1972195446.1493828855 If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.
Minimum Education Required