Sobrato Philanthropies creates social change by partnering with communities to build a world that is more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable. Guided by the business philosophy and personal values of the Sobrato family, three generations engage in grantmaking, advocacy, impact investing, and collaborative efforts designed to create impact in the communities they serve. Sobrato Philanthropies is part of The Sobrato Organization, a multi-generational, family-owned firm that has played a dynamic role in the emergence and growth of Silicon Valley for nearly 70 years. Sobrato Philanthropies leverages the combined power of multiple giving vehicles, including the Sobrato Family Foundation, which has focused on building opportunity in Silicon Valley since 1996. The Sobrato Family is committed to building a strong and vibrant Silicon Valley community through business and philanthropic leadership.
Sobrato Philanthropies’ Community focus area supports low-income Silicon Valley residents to achieve stability and economic mobility through access to essential services and pathways. The Economic Mobility Program makes grants across three program areas – Essential Human Services, Pathways for Success, and Bachelor’s Completion – toward a vision of expanded opportunity, economic stability and upward mobility for low-income Silicon Valley residents. Sobrato Philanthropies also invests directly in the region’s nonprofit ecosystem by providing in-kind office and meeting space through our Sobrato Center for Nonprofits program. Beyond this, we have expanded to new areas including impacting systemic change on behalf of English Learners in the state as well as investing in ocean conservation and plastic reduction efforts globally.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Sobrato Philanthropies platform was developed in 2019 with a key goal of bringing the Sobrato family’s multiple forms of giving—individual, collaborative, collective—under one umbrella structure. In order to operationalize this goal, there is a clear need to build out the processes, systems, and capacity to equip both the staff and family to do so—all while promoting a sustained level of engagement from the family members and piloting/iterating new engagement strategies.
The core function of the Family Initiatives and New Opportunities team is to: 1) Support individual Sobrato family members on their philanthropic efforts; 2) Develop portfolios and strategies to support new areas of giving; 3) Facilitate opportunities for the family to engage with each other around philanthropic pursuits, and for the family to learn more about potential new areas of giving. Working at all three levels—the individual, collaborative, and collective—this new team seeks to support the Sobrato family’s philanthropic activity across a range of topics and issues. Current areas of exploration and giving include: ocean conservation, climate, and democracy reform.
Working closely with and reporting to the Director, Family Initiatives and New Opportunities, this newly-created Program Associate (PA) position will play a key role in facilitating these three goals. The PA will provide support for administation, grants management, and research in service of the team goals. The PA will be a core member of the Sobrato Philanthropies team, working collaboratively with foundation staff, Sobrato family and board, external advisors, and grantees.
· Provide administrative support to Director, Family Initiatives and New Opportunities and to the Associate Program Officer, Family Initiatives and New Opportunities including meeting arrangements, general administrative projects and research. Organize and schedule meetings and manage calendars as needed.
· Take detailed and accurate notes in meetings, to document main points and takeaways.
· Assist in coordination and planning of events as needed.
· Process invoices and expenses appropriately.
Grant Management and Administration
· Gather information needed to inform grant recommendations, including researching and summarizing background on prospective organizations, in support of Director, Family Initiatives and New Opportunities.
· Support grants administration process, including entering grantee data, ensuring accuracy of information, and enabling an efficient grant approval process for the grantee.
· Support budget management and tracking.
· Partner with grants management team to ensure effective grantmaking processes are in place and followed from start to finish.
· Build collaborative and positive working relationships and effective communication with other staff, seeking input from others and offering support in return
· Manage special projects and duties as assigned
· Overtime may be required
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training, and other experience
· 2-4 years experience with grants administration and administrative support.
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel. Familiarity with grantmaking tools like Fluxx a plus.
· Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills.
· Work well independently and within a team, demonstrating a high degree of initiative, flexibility, and collaboration.
· Ability to be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity; ability to thrive in an environment of organizational change and multiple priorities.
· Track record of effectively building trusting relationships with stakeholders internally and externally.
Commitment to Sobrato Philanthropy’s mission and values, ability to empathize with community challenges and channel voices of lived experience.
Sobrato Philanthropies creates social change by partnering with communities to build a world that is more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable. Guided by the business philosophy and personal values of the Sobrato family, three…
Sobrato Philanthropies promotes equitable and rewarding compensation for its team. Salary is commensurate with experience, plus a competitive benefits package with perks including medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; 401(k) plan with generous employer match; paid time off; vacation and holidays; access to professional development resources; matching gift contributions; an Employee Assistance Program (EAP); cell phone reimbursement; and public transportation passes.
Beyond competitive salaries, benefits and perks, joining Sobrato Philanthropies is an opportunity to build upon the Sobrato family legacy of strong values, deep commitment and large-scale community impact. Sobrato Philanthropies is dynamic, growing, encourages collaboration and continuous learning, and is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion. Our team appreciates the chance to contribute immediately taking on meaningful work alongside caring, talented colleagues
Sobrato Philanthropies promotes equitable and rewarding compensation for its team. Salary is commensurate with experience, plus a competitive benefits package with perks…
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=1d28b3fa-4383-406d-bd52-58a9e5e6a416&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=403985&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=1d28b3fa-4383-406d-bd52-58a9e5e6a416&ccId…