200 High Street
BGCB’s Development & Marketing Office of 20+ staff encompasses all fundraising and communications activities coordinated through the central office of the organization comprised of 11 Club sites and YouthConnect in Boston and Chelsea. Having recently exceeded its $125 million campaign goal – the largest fundraising endeavor in BGCB’s history – the team is growing with the goal of securing even greater operating support than was secured during the campaign. A staffing plan has been developed and recruitment is underway that will position BGCB to achieve its ambitious goals. Charitable giving is critical to BGCB’s ability to serve 17,000 youth each year with contributed support providing 80% of the annual operating budget.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Individual Giving, the Major Gifts Officer will play an instrumental role in Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston’s fundraising efforts by focusing on securing gifts between $10,000 and $99,999. In this new position, the Major Gifts Officer will build and manage a portfolio of 150 prospects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of 150 current individual donors and prospects, acting as an externally facing fundraiser, working to strategically develop new relationships through proactive outreach. Develop and implement overall strategies for engagement, solicitation, cultivation and coordination of all follow up steps with a goal to increase the number of gifts, donors, and revenue at the $10,000 to $99,999 level.
· Work collaboratively with the BGCB Individual Giving team leadership to determine best strategies for major gift prospects. Develop fundraising strategies, coordinating solicitations, engagement, and stewardship activities.
· Working collaboratively across the organization, develop a deep understanding of BGCB’s mission, programs and values. Excellent communication and collaboration skills at all levels of the organization are required.
- Work closely with the Associate Vice President of Individual Giving and Director of Principal Giving to staff the Major Gifts Committee; setting agendas, developing prospect strategies, following up with volunteer solicitors and providing analysis of fundraising efforts.
- Work closely with the Associate Vice President of Individual Giving and Director of Annual Giving to staff the Champion Society Committee; setting agendas, developing prospect strategies, following up with volunteer solicitors and providing analysis of fundraising efforts.
- Assist Associate Vice President of Individual Giving in developing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all major gift prospects and donors, and tracking these efforts using the Raiser’s Edge moves management system.
- Achieve 10 donor and prospect visits a month.
- Manage gift documentation and actions in donor database.
- Project and track major gifts, revenue, and expenses, adjusting business plans according to results. Assist in projecting and tracking multi-year gift solicitations.
- Work closely with Individual Giving team to ensure coordination of solicitation efforts among entire prospect/donor base via internal prospect strategy meetings and other relevant avenues.
- Manage acknowledgement process, gift agreements, pledge and naming documentation for prospects. Coordinate tracking documentation in donor files and donor database.
- Draft major gift acknowledgement letters for portfolio of donors and others as needed.
- Assist Events Team by attending and engaging prospects at fundraising events.
- Work with Development Team in setting revenue goals and meeting annual fundraising needs. Actively seek and manage donor engagement activities at BGCB Clubs and small cultivation events to engage prospects and current donors, coordinating with appropriate senior staff and development team members.
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demands)
- Bachelor’s degree with 6-8 years of major gifts experience.
· Experience with Board volunteer management and the ability to maintain a high level of diplomacy.
- Highly energetic individual with track record of developing and executing successful major gifts strategies.
- Commitment to BGCB’s mission.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, and project management skills required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines and the willingness to meet unexpected demands.
· The ability to succeed in a distinct and dynamic culture.
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain high level of donor confidentiality.
- Availability to attend and staff various agency events as part of Development Team during early morning, evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Willing to join fast-paced, energetic Development Team.
- An advocate for diversity.
· Flexibility and a sense of humor.
· Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office.
Minimum Education Required