About Microfinance Opportunities:
Founded in 2002, Microfinance Opportunities (MFO) (microfinanceopportunities.org) is a global nonprofit organization committed to understanding the economic realities of low-income individuals and households in developing countries. MFO is a global leader in the development and use of the Financial Diaries methodology and has conducted 14 such studies across the globe, including the recently completed Garment Worker Diaries (www.workerdiaries.org).
MFO is looking to hire a full-time Research Associate with project management and data management capabilities. The Research Associate’s role will be to manage day-to-day activities for MFO’s innovative Worker Diaries project, though the Associate will also support other research assignments as needed. The Associate’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Regularly liaising with international research teams to monitor progress towards project outputs and outcomes;
- Checking data quality every week and working with the local research team to resolve errors;
- Using coding skills to manage data and develop interactive data visualizations;
- Supporting the analyses of the resulting Diaries data; and
- Supporting the development of internal and external publications to communicate findings to various stakeholders.
Applicants should have a keen interest in international development, supply chain sustainability, women’s economic empowerment, financial inclusion, and the role that good data and good data analysis can play in promoting social justice.
The ideal candidate for the position will have the following skills and experience:
- B.A. or M.A. in one of the social sciences, with courses in quantitative data analysis
- B.A.s should have 1-4 years experience; M.A.s should have at least one year of experience
- 1 to 2 years of experience writing code to organize and analyze data, preferably R or Python
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is required; experience with Access and/or Tableau is a plus
- Excellent English writing skills
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Must be a creative-problem solver who is comfortable working independently on a small team
- Boston-area applicants are preferred, but telecommuting options are available for non-Boston applicants
- Knowledge of ethical supply chains and/or an interest in social justice is desirable
- Interest in performing international travel (10%-15%)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample to email@example.com. Please indicate “Research Associate Applicant” on the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.