Details: Full-time, year-round position.
3100 Macomb Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Located in the heart of Washington DC, Washington International School (WIS) is a coeducational independent school offering a challenging international curriculum and rich language program from Preschool through Grade 12.
WIS is seeking an energetic, experienced, detailed oriented professional who has the ability to prioritize multiple projects to meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal communication skills, the ability to function as a team member and have strong verbal, written and problem solving skills.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Staff Accountant reports to the Controller and is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the general ledger by monthly reconciling general ledger accounts and the application of GAAP. Additionally the Staff Accountant will collaborate with the Controller to maintain internal controls.
Major functions and responsibilities
· Be responsible for all aspects of the month-end close
· Maintain a master list of monthly journal entries
· Create journal entries with supporting information
· Reconcile operating bank account creating necessary journal entries and researching any reconciling items
· Reconcile investment bank accounts creating necessary investment entries
· Maintain detailed listings and reconciliations of the contents of all balance sheet accounts
· Collaborate with the advancement department to reconcile pledge receivables and gift revenue accounts
· Collect, review and record credit card expense statements ensuring the adherence of school policies and procedures
· Assist Controller with audit preparation and examinations
· Manage the Metro SmartBenefits payments and reconcile the associated payroll deductions
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Present a helpful, collegial and professional demeanor at all times
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Administration, Business, Finance or equivalent office experience.
· 1-3 years of experience in a customer-driven business with emphasis on bank statement preparation, meeting deadlines and maintaining fiscal responsibility.
· Proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and a recognized accounting software program such as Financial Edge or QuickBooks.
- Subsidized health and dental insurance - employer pays 75% of premiums
- Generous company match for retirement with minimal contribution
- Free parking
- Paid sick and vacation leave
- Life insurance/disability with supplemental as buy-up
- Prepaid legal plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Supplemental vision plan
- An awesome group of colleagues!
Level of Language Proficiency
Knowledge of French or Spanish is helpful but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references.