After-School Early Childhood Specialist ( East Harlem & South Bronx)
- Job posted by DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI)
1991 2nd Avenue
INNOVATIVE YOUTH ORGANIZATION IN EAST HARLEM & THE SOUTH BRONX SEEKS AFTER-SCHOOL EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIALIST
DREAM, an award winning youth development organization, is seeking dynamic Early Childhood (Centers) Specialists, both individuals and contractors, to work in our nationally recognized elementary enrichment program. DREAM’s REAL Kids elementary program offers a unique environment focused on enhancing youth engagement in reading and learning while building life skills in nutrition and fitness, critical thinking, team building and leadership.
REAL Kids programming offers a supportive teaching environment that fosters creativity and innovation. Early Childhood (Centers) Specialists plan, create, organize, and oversee the implementation of Center-based activities in 3 K/1 groups daily. Each group will rotate through 3 centers daily. Centers should be fun with an academic learning goal in the following areas: 1 center per day should be literacy-focused, 1 center per day should have a social-emotional focus, and the third center can be focused on any academic goal.
Like all DREAM employees, the Early Childhood (Centers) Specialist should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that was recently recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times and as the winner of the Nonprofit Excellence Award – Silver Prize for Overall Management Excellence by the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
This is a great opportunity for early childhood educators, graduate students, and teacher assistants!
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Design and deliver curricula for K/1 developmentally appropriate centers that reinforce literacy skills and social emotional skills and are aligned to the DREAM values including respect, effort and teamwork;
· Create a system to retain, reuse, and refresh centers including a curriculum index and materials list;
· Prepare all materials before activities begin and facilitate a thorough clean up afterwards;
· Encourage youth to positively participate in activities;
· Serve as a role model while demonstrating professional behavior;
· Ensure the safety of youth during activities;
· NOTE: Centers Activities that require materials/resources will be given a conservative budget on an as-needed basis.
· Must be at least 18 years of age;
· High school diploma required & Bachelor’s degree/certification in related field preferred;
· Minimum 2 years experience working with groups of youth;
· Clear passion for and detailed knowledge of specialty area;
· Understanding of effective youth development strategies and conflict resolution;
· Exemplary social, organizational, verbal and written communication skills;
· Dedication to the program and ability to collaborate with colleagues to ensure a positive, productive youth experience.
· The REAL Kids after-school program operates from late September to early June.
· After-school hours typically follow the Department of Education calendar, up to Monday –Thursday from 2:30pm to 5:30pm and vary depending on site location. Multiple schedules available.
· Hourly and commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required