The National Director of Public Affairs is responsible for developing and implementing strategies that enhance Amnesty International USA’s image, influence, and engagement with the general public and key audiences, and acts as our main strategic communications advisor. The National Director will manage the communications team, build and maintain a strong organizational reputation, increase the visibility of the organization, and drive strategy to enhance AIUSA’s work.
Specifically, the National Director of Public Affairs ensures that the organization’s Public Affairs work:
- Reflects AIUSA’s strategic direction, activism, programs, and priorities;
- Engages AIUSA’s various audiences—including members, thought leaders, world leaders, policymakers, stakeholders, and donors;
- Promotes, enhances, and protects the organization’s brand reputation, leadership in the field, and the visibility of the organization and its principals.
In accomplishing these goals, the National Director of Public Affairs manages a team who utilizes varied and integrated approaches and services including: digital, web, email, and other online communications; events and conferences; arts and entertainment engagement; print publications; and media and public relations.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership:
- Advance and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to increase AIUSA’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase the impact of its work across key stakeholder audiences
- Generate a public relations strategy that will allow AIUSA leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, key influencers, and online audiences
- Develop narrative strategies for AIUSA priority areas, including messaging, talking points, story development and more.
- Thoughtfully and proactively identify emerging issues and challenges faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Serve as lead point person on high-profile media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization online and offline
- Oversee development and implementation of all AIUSA Public Affairs strategies including websites and digital platforms; print communications including the annual report; media relations; government relations; events; and arts/entertainment engagement
- Exercise judgment to prioritize digital and media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Implement new digital strategies to build online support through adoption of digital tools, platforms and data analytics
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding AIUSA programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Public Affairs department, including budgeting, planning and staff development
- Recruit and manage the team to support the development and execution of the digital engagement, communications, and advocacy strategies
- Encourage a culture of high performance and continuous development that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and manage staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, establish accountability, set objectives, create priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans, outputs, and results
- Exceptional and persuasive communicator; written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation
- Leadership skills; experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communication professionals (social, email, and traditional), technology (data analytics and developers), arts/entertainment, and events staff
- Established expertise in overseeing high-profile efforts to use multiple Public Affairs functions (media, government relations, digital engagement, arts, etc) to advance organizational goals
- Outstanding judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Self -aware, self-motivated and self-reliant, tenacious and results-oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Energetic, flexible, and proactive; a good team player eager to collaborate with colleagues on the senior management team, the Board of Directors, and with volunteer member leaders
- Creative and thoughtful approach to using digital strategies and online technologies for both advocacy and fundraising goals
- Extensive writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Passion for AIUSA’s mission
- Engage others, modeling cooperation, collaboration, integrity, respect (courtesy), and humility.
- Communicate a clear point of view with open-mindedness and flexibility, where appropriate.
- Embrace diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility principles.
- Focus on results while working with attention to detail and with a sense of urgency.
- Lead by example and promote AIUSA’s strategic objectives and principles of human dignity.
- Hire talented people and facilitate staff development with goal setting, coaching, and constructive feedback.
- Manage effectively with prioritizing, planning, scheduling, and exercising good judgment in decision-making.
- Experience and leadership in managing complex strategic communications, digital engagement, branding, and media relations team to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Minimum 15 years of experience in a senior management role; non-profit or agency preferred
- Graduate degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related field is desirable
- Manages a team of more than 3 people located throughout the United States
- Regular Domestic travel
- Occasional international travel