Burning Man is an annual event in Nevada's Black Rock Desert and a thriving year-round culture generated by a global community of participants.The Burning Man organization creates the essential infrastructure of Black Rock City, and participants create a community dedicated to art, self-expression, and self-reliance.They depart one week later, leaving no trace whatsoever.
The nonprofit Burning Man Project produces the annual Burning Man event in Black Rock City, and works year-round to bring Burning Man culture to the world, providing inspiration, connection, education, and grants to a creative ecosystem of builders, makers, artists, and community leaders. The nonprofit is developing programming in arts, education, and civic engagement based on Burning Man’s Ten Principles that people can replicate in their own communities. Burning Man Project's endeavors include a global network of individuals, organizations and communities that together produce more than 90 official Burning Man events annually; Burners Without Borders, and the Fly Ranch Project.
Whether our activities take place in Black Rock City or around the world, Burning Man's Ten Principles provide a guiding social and cultural framework for a more creative and connected world.
For more information, please visit us online at burningman.org.
The Burning Man Technology department is looking for a solid, smart Software Engineering Manager / Developer to manage and mentor an existing development team. The team develops, maintains and operates Burning Man’s critical infrastructure in a fast-paced, community focused environment.
Through technology we have the ability to help the Burning Man organization build communities in a whole different way with the goal of bringing the world closer together.
We are looking for a mentor who looks forward to grabbing a keyboard for some peer coding. A smart engineer with many interesting skill sets….
We are looking for a manager to work with our smart, driven engineers helping to iterate, solve problems, and work together to empower our growing community around the world.
The ideal candidate will have strong infrastructure and architecture skills, a proven track record of leading and scaling teams, strong operational skills to drive efficiency and speed, strong project management leadership and do all this with the empathy that is required to succeed.
The deadline to apply for this role is 5:00pm Pacific on Thursday, November 12, 2020.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Proactively drive the vision for the Burning Man Project and help define and execute on that vision.
- Help define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence
- Manage an Engineering team with the idea of Volunteerism as a way to access the many different disciplines needed to make an Iconic Cultural Organization succeed
- Lead team-building and professional development including training staff in our technologies and applications
- Lead and integrate agile development rituals
- Advocate Burning Man technologies internally and externally
- Explore and promote new technologies in response to organizational needs
LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Documentation - Drives the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to assigned duties.
- Teaching – Takes a leadership role in the acculturation and training of staff. Teaches live or e-learning classes, as requested. Promotes a culture of teaching and learning throughout the community.
- Mentoring - Mentors subordinates in acquiring the knowledge, skills, and experience that will allow them to advance in the organization. Aids, encourages, and inspires their team.
- Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes. Participates in conferences, forums, and networking events, where appropriate.
- Speaking – Represents Burning Man as a subject matter expert and culture-bearer, as requested.
- Experience scaling and managing software engineering teams
- Communication and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving projects
- Project management experience
- Data architecture experience
- Software architectures and frameworks experience
- Experience in SQL or similar languages and development experience in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, etc.)
- Experience in MySql / Maria/ Mongo/ etc and Elastic search
- Experience in Object Storage
- 10+ years of engineering development and management experience
- Solutions-oriented thinker; always looking to help others to solve problems and learn
- Takes pride and ownership of their work
- Takes on new challenges enthusiastically
- Keeps up-to-date with new technologies and standards
- Ability to adjust schedule seasonally to work at the Burning Man event held in Nevada
- Experience in Content authoring, customizing WordPress modules & Work flow management
- Knowledge of high-availability server infrastructure and caching strategies
- Knowledge of stored and streamed media
- PHP, Python, React, Rails, Salesforce, Zapier
- High-level understanding of Single Sign on
- Experience with Salesforce and Netsuite
- It is helpful if the candidate has previously been to Burning Man and/or is familiar with its culture.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This is a regular, full-time position, eligible for benefits.
- The location for this position is flexible and work hours will be held in Pacific time.
- Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, other Peoples of Color, Queer, Immigrant, formerly incarcerated applicants, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
- Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.