Join our team!
The mission of Middlesex Human Service Agency is to improve the quality of life and independent functioning of a diverse client population served through an extensive delivery-system of community-based substance abuse and social service programs. All programs emphasize dignity, respect, and empowerment of disadvantaged clients. The Agency believes in teaching individuals and families regarding the skills and problem-solving abilities required for self-sufficiency.
The Agency currently operates 10 programs in the Metro Boston area and continues to expand its scope of services. Please view our website! www.mhsainc.org
Program: Answer House
Schedule: 10:00am - 6:00pm (Shift Days TBD)
Compensation: $16.50hr or $18.00hr w/ LADC
Objective: To perform the 12 Core Functions of a Substance Abuse Counseling, providing
quality evidence-based care and 12-step models to all clients.
Scope: Conduct and facilitate individual and group substance abuse counseling and related treatment activities in a half-way house, substance abuse recovery program for adult males. This is an exempt, salaried position
- Conduct diagnostic assessment interviews and individual counseling sessions with assigned clients.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of program policies and philosophy of treatment.
- Facilitate individual and group counseling sessions
- Participate in group supervision, individual supervision, staff meetings, case conference and staff training as scheduled.
- Write clinical assessments, group notes, treatment summaries and routine court correspondence.
- Conduct educational/motivational classes as assigned.
- Engage in discharge planning, aftercare referral and follow up with each assigned client.
- Provide crisis intervention counseling as indicated.
- Provide HIV/AIDS/STD education, information, and referral and serve as Coordinator for these issues as assigned.
- Serve as Tobacco Education Coordinator as assigned.
- Maintain client records in a comprehensive and timely manner.
- Monitor client compliance with program rules and regulations and provide general supervision of client activities as appropriate. Document any inappropriate behavior.
- Comply with all program data collection needs.
- Facilitate and/or supervise urine drug-screening collection processes and the administration of medications in accordance with Program-specific policies and BSAS protocols.
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times.
- Engage in independent and program sponsored study and training to expand upon knowledge of substance abuse, mental health and related disciplines to improve clinical skills.
- Maintain program continuity, providing staff coverage for non-clinical functions, such as meals, admission desk, and recreation as necessary.
- Abide by all MHSA policies regarding boundaries, strict confidentiality and ethical standards at all times.
- Various other responsibilities, as assigned by Program Director from time to time and/or as needed to ensure proper functioning of the program.
- High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelors or Associates Degree preferred.
- 2 or more years of counseling experience
- Experience with managing 8 or more case loads
- Must be currently enrolled in LADC or CADAC program and acquire license within three (3) years of initial employment.
- Fundamental knowledge of substance abuse, its treatment and twelve (12)-step models required.
- Familiarity with Mass. DPH/BSAS regulations preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Experience working with spread sheets, data bases and word processors required.
- Ability to work with a diverse population required.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team required.
- CPR, AED and First Aid Certification required. (MHSA will provide training opportunity.)
- Demonstrated reliable attendance and punctual reporting for work required.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Reliable personal transportation for work activities required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
As one of MHSA’s first Boston-based programs and a cornerstone substance abuse recovery home in the neighborhood of South Boston, Answer House has been helping residents reestablish a sober lifestyle for over 20 years. With steady clinical oversight and an experienced and well-trained team of counselors, Answer House provides intensive substance abuse treatment services to 28 adult men for up to six months.
Middlesex Human Service Agency, Inc (MHSA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Comprehensive health and dental benefits package for full time employees
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please provide a letter of introduction including the following topics:
- Case Management skills/ Counseling experience
- Documentation experience
- Cognitive behavioral Therapy and Motivational interviewing knowledge
Qualified candidates should send cover letters and resumes to:
Name: Human Resource Department
Please note the position for which you are applying in the subject of your email.