Details: Depends on experience
2145 Keith Street
Causa Justa :: Just Cause [CJJC] builds grassroots power and leadership to create strong, equitable communities. Born from a visionary merger between a Black housing rights organization and a Latinx immigrant rights organization, we build bridges of solidarity between working class communities of color. Through rights-based services, policy campaigns, civic engagement, and direct action, we improve conditions in our neighborhoods in Oakland and San Francisco and contribute to building the larger multi-racial, multi-generational movement needed for fundamental change.
The primary role of the Black Priorities Program Lead Organizer is to oversee the coordination, development and implementation of the organizing project and to ensure it’s cohesion to the organization.The Black Priorities Project (BPP) is a long term organizing project intended to invest resources and capacity into the question of how to build social, economic and political power for Black people in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The BPP Lead Organizer position is a full-time position responsible for the development of the Black Priorities Project and strengthening Causa Justa :: Just Cause organizing work as whole. BPP is in the department of Community Rights, who’s collective mission is to advance our vision of Community Rights, engage the community in building intergenerational Black and Brown Unity and advocate for 21st Century Sanctuary and Community Defense. The BPP Lead Organizer will report to the Co-Directors of Community Rights.
Key Areas of Work/Responsibility:
The BPP Lead Organizer is responsible for developing and implementing base-building plans and activities for the organizing project. In conjunction with grassroots leaders, the Lead will develop, coordinate, and implement campaign strategies and other activities for BPP. The Lead will supervise Organizer and Member Interns participating in the Member Internships. In addition, the Lead will also coordinate and implement the political and practical development of the skills of leaders and core members, including recruitment, campaign development, media/communications, alliance building, political analysis, and research. The Lead will initiate, maintain, and expand organizational relationships with other organizations and participate in the coordination of grassroots fundraising events and activities. The Lead is responsible for recruiting, soliciting, and maintaining dues-paying members in conjunction with leaders and core members.
Member Recruitment & Retention - 20%
- Develops and implements base-building plans and goals
- Develops and implements systems for member retention and consistent follow-up with contacts and members
- Ensures a consistent practice in outreach and base building for the project
Campaign Strategy, Research & Development - 20%
- Works with members and staff to develop and implement campaign plans
- Works with members and staff to plan and implement campaign tactics
- Evaluates and assesses the development of the campaigns and makes strategic and tactical calls about how to most effectively move the organization toward its goals
- Coordinates and conducts research to advance the campaign, the project, and the organization
- Conducts effective power analyses based on the material conditions that exist in the community that sharpen and strengthen existing campaign work in order to build a sound strategy for the campaign work
Leadership Development & Supervision - 20%
- Develops and implements the Black Priorities Project organizing program, including the development and facilitation of meetings and trainings, and conducting regular one-on-ones and supervision with the member interns
- Brings together grassroots leaders to help to shape and direct the goals and outcomes of the project
- Develops plans to develop the leadership (skills, analysis, and capacity) of the grassroots leaders in the project
- Supervises and supports organizers in Causa Justa :: Just Cause to coordinate organizational participation in and support for the Black Priorities Project
- Trains members and interns in base building and member retention skills and analysis
Alliances - 15%
- Helps build local, regional and national alliances that support, amplify, and strengthen CJJC’s organizing
- Participates in coalitional activities and campaigns
Media/Communications - 10%
- Works with Communications Lead on messaging and media training for grassroots leaders and members
- • Develops fliers for base building and profile building of the project, the organization and its campaign.
Fundraising - 5%
- Supports the Director of Fundraising and Finances in identifying potential funding opportunities, grant writing and reporting
- Participates in the cultivation and appreciation of funders and donors
- Participates in and supports grassroots fundraising efforts
- Regularly collects dues from grassroots leaders in the project
Administration - 5%
- Coordinates the development and semi-annual evaluation of the project’s annual work plan in conjunction with members and staff
- Regularly enters and updates member contact information, including dues payments and activity participation in CJJC’s database
- Submits regular reports with receipts from credit card expenses, check requests, and staff reimbursements
- Monitors and tracks petty cash
- Tracks and administers the Member Intern weekly incentives
- Submits monthly workplans to Co-Executive Director
- Follow the workplans established under the supervision of the Co-Executive Director.
- Participates in CJJC staff meetings, organizing team meetings, and staff planning retreats and criticism/self-criticism retreat.
Organizational Support - 5%
- Participates in staff meetings, organizing team meetings, and staff planning retreats and criticism/self-criticism retreat.
- Active and regular participation and contributions to organizing team meetings
- Active and regular participation and contributions to political education and leadership development spaces
- Participates in cleaning and disposal of trash and recycling in office space
Salary range is $48,000 - $60,000, depending on experience. Position includes full medical and dental benefits.
Position open until filled.
People of color, women, QTPOC are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position includes generous benefits package including vacation, PTO, holidays, full medical, dental, vision and Health Savings Account.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online-- submit a cover letter & resume to https://cjjc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=6
Apply soon, interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, and job open until filled.