Global Fund for Women’s vision is a world in which every woman and girl is strong safe, powerful, and heard. No exceptions. We are a global champion for the rights of women and girls, using grantmaking and advocacy to strengthen global movements for women’s rights. The Senior PR & Communications Manager spearheads PR, media relations, thought leadership, and crisis response across the organization.
The Senior PR & Communications Manager is a full-time position within the Programs team as part of the Advocacy group. The Programs team unifies grantmaking, movements building, and advocacy activities to get money and attention where they will make the biggest difference in the fight for gender equality.
The Senior PR & Communications Manager spearheads and manages communications activities across the organization, managing PR and media relations, thought leadership program management including writing/editing and placement, CEO positioning and profile development, media partnerships, influencer outreach and management, and content writing for news and website pieces. They also act as the communications lead for Global Fund for Women crisis response efforts. The position works closely with the Advocacy group to build Global Fund for Women’s audience, brand awareness, and external positioning as experts and thought leaders on key women’s human rights issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
PR and media relations
- Manage all aspects of proactive and reactive media outreach and relationship-building for the organization, working with staff spokespeople as appropriate
- Build Global Fund for Women’s media profile in online and offline media, with a focus on engaging media outlets that will reach and engage new audiences
- Oversee overall organizational PR and media strategy, including setting metrics and performance goals with frequent reporting and measurement
- Develop and execute PR plans for campaigns, content, key moments and/or announcements or initiatives including developing media lists and conducting media outreach, writing pitches and media kits, writing press releases and managing media opportunities
- Manage relationship with an external vendors including PR firm or consultant(s), when and if appropriate
Writing and content development
- Write op ed pieces, opinion pieces, letters to the editor and blog articles with and for CEO, senior staff and program leaders, making sure that Global Fund for Women and grantee-partners' perspectives are part of current public conversations on a prominent and timely basis
- Write and edit news and crisis response content pieces, solidarity statements, with a focus on amplifying women’s movements via the voices of grantee partners and advisors
- Write copy for website, reports, documents, email newsletters, publications, and proposals
CEO positioning & communications
- Work directly with President & CEO to hone and leverage her profile through core online and offline channels
- Develop and execute communications strategy and editorial calendar for CEO
- Write and manage talking points and speeches for speaking engagements, public and private; thought leadership and op-eds; and message points and briefings on key issues
- Support Global Fund for Women senior staff to elevate voices, perspective and thought leadership on key issues, providing guidance on op-eds/articles/blog posts, writing and/or editorial assistance, ensuring placement in target media outlet(s), and managing deadlines/timelines
- Work closely with Global Fund for Women’s CEO and other senior spokespeople on thought leadership positioning
- Develop core messaging and tip sheets for op-ed writing across organization, and lead internal training sessions
Communications Crisis Response
- Act as communications lead for crisis response (e.g. elevating the voices and needs of women’s movements in the media at moments of natural disaster or political crisis)
- Project manage and streamline internal communications around organization’s crisis response protocol
- Co-lead online crisis response activation, including creating donation emails
- Lead timely outreach to grantee partners and advisors to organize interviews and gather updates from partners on the ground
- Develop and execute organizational strategy to manage communications with key influencers, working with internal cross-team to identify key target influencers from sectors including philanthropy, government, media, as well as thought leaders and celebrities/VIPs
- Support crisis grantmaking including review of profiles or final reports as needed
- Engage in relevant profile, proposal, and final report reviews in order to understand and communicate work of grantee-partners
- As a member of the Programs team, develop knowledge and thought leadership in one or more strategic priority area and support grantmaking and movements building activities as requested
- Participate in cross-functional work-teams (including Digital Marketing Team and Crisis Response Subcommittee)
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
This position works within Global Fund for Women policies and procedures and at all times acts as an ambassador for the Programs team within the organization, as well as with individuals and organizations external to Global Fund for Women.
Internal: This position reports to the Head of Advocacy/Executive Producer and works closely with the CEO. The position has daily working relationships with all members of the Programs team and the Advocacy group, and has a collaborative relationship with colleagues on the Digital Marketing and Development teams in particular.
External: The Senior PR & Media Relations Manager represents Global Fund for Women to the public via media relations and PR, external relationships with key media, partners, online and social media audiences, and more. They may also present Global Fund for Women strategy and thought leadership at conferences and convenings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to lead an organization’s media relations and PR work; high affinity for and interest in news, especially breaking international news
- Ability to research and synthesize information quickly and communicate complex topics to a general audience
- Proven ability to master a CEO’s voice and organizational brand identity,
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Ability to measure and evaluate media relations, PR, and core communications functions, as well as digital and social media engagement
- Creativity and leading edge thinking for online outreach; ability to regularly generate, test, and assess new ideas
- Ability and willingness to respond to media inquiries and manage crisis response situations outside of working hours when necessary
- Sensitivity toward cultural, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity, and ability to navigate viewpoints and communication styles within a multicultural work environment
- Understanding of and commitment to feminist and human rights movements
- Experience translating complex human rights language and principles for diverse audiences
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently yet within a larger team
- Readiness to develop knowledge and skills in grantmaking and movements building
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Russian, or Arabic
- Experience writing speeches and talking points for public appearances by CEO or other senior executives
- Deep familiarity with the social media space: experience managing Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn; and familiarity with YouTube, Pinterest
- Knowledge and experience with WordPress and Salesforce
- HTML skills desirable
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 6 years of senior level communications, media relations, and PR experience in an organization or an agency, with a demonstrated track record of success
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a relevant field
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain media relationships, and experience in pitching and securing significant media coverage, ideally for campaigns or social causes
- Significant experience (evidence by portfolio) of writing for multiple types of media, including op-eds and thought leadership pieces, news content, and blog posts
- Evidence of using media and communications to influence public opinion, shift awareness, and propel activism
- Project management experience, especially for online content or similar projects involving cross-team collaboration and reviews processes
- Experience with data and media measurement
- Fluency in social media and in email strategy, and their use for online and external promotions
The Global Fund for Women is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, and LGBTQI candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Fully paid medical, dental, vision, acupuncture/chiro.
Employer paid 403(b) after one year of employment
Part-time remote work
9/80 schedule option
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Arabic, French, Russian, or Spanish is preferred, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via website with resume and cover letter.