Established in 1915 with Helen Keller as a founding trustee, Helen Keller International (HKI) is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the world’s most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 20 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States. Renowned for its reliability, efficiency and high level of technical expertise, HKI promotes the development of sustainable, large-scale programs that deliver effective preventative and curative services for nutrition, eye health and neglected tropical diseases.
ChildSight® Program Overview
Recognizing a lack of accessible, adequate vision care among low-income children in the United States, HKI established ChildSight® in 1994. The program identifies and treats refractive errors (i.e., nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism) by providing in-school vision screenings, prescription eyeglasses, and ophthalmologic referrals to local partners for follow-up care as needed. In so doing, the program “brings education into focus” ™ for children who would otherwise be left with poor vision – and unfulfilled potential. To date, ChildSight® has screened more than 1.9 million students in the U.S. and has provided free eyeglasses to approximately 300,000 children living in some of our country’s poorest neighborhoods. We are currently seeking a Project Assistant to join the program team in Milwaukee.
- Travel to schools/programs in target communities throughout Milwaukee to administer screening assessments to students in accordance with ChildSight® guidelines.
- Assist consulting doctor in the implementation of vision assessment;
- Assist in the distribution of eyeglasses as prescribed by the eye doctor;
- Promote follow-up care by conducting educational information sessions to children, school personnel and/or parents/guardians regarding the screening assessment, vision health, potential vision difficulties and treatments;
- Ensure the proper maintenance of all files, records and documents of the program;
- Collaborate with Program Manager in outreach strategies with parents, students and school liaison.
- One year certificate from college or technical school; plus 1-2 year’s related experience
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong English-language communications skills; proficiency in Spanish, Arabic, Burmese, Hmong, Karen S'gwa or Somali preferred.
- Ability to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent inter-personal skills; demonstrating diplomacy and tact.
- Demonstrable respect for all persons regardless of religion, ethnicity, class or gender.
- Willingness to travel within state and use of a personal vehicle with adequate insurance for HKI business.
This is a part-time position (approximately 25- 30 hours per week) that is active only during the academic year.
Level of Language Proficiency
Strong English-language communications skills; proficiency in Spanish, Arabic, Burmese, Hmong, Karen S'gwa or Somali preferred.
Minimum Education Required