With 163,000 members 32BJ SEIU is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public-sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for the thousands of unorganized service workers.
32BJ SEIU is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for fair wages, affordable healthcare, and a voice in their future. We currently offer an opportunity for an Organizing Coordinator to build on the success of our airport workers’ campaign, and to lead the effort to organize airport workers in and around Baltimore. The Organizing Coordinator will be responsible for planning and driving the campaign, supported by the experience and resources of 32BJ. S/He will coordinate a cross-functional team of staff and member-leaders.
This is a high-level position in our organization. We are looking for someone with deep organizing experience and the ability to manage a diverse team. The ideal candidate will be interested in developing their skills and growing into future leadership roles in the labor movement.
- Creating and managing winning campaigns in coordination with partnering departments and officers of 32BJ SEIU;
- Leading and managing teams of staff and members to carry out campaign plans;
- Implementing plans with community allies;
- Writing and implementing individual staff development plans;
- Leading staff by example, setting high standards of work ethic and professional conduct;
- Drive personal and teams’ ongoing development of organizing, leadership and other related skills; foster an environment where team feels supported and challenged to grow;
- Articulating a positive vision of the project and of the union;
- Participating in creating the overall plan to move the union forward.
A 32BJ Organizing Coordinator is an experienced leader in the field of worker or community organizing. S/He has a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- An in-depth understanding of organizing based on prior work experience, including how to oversee large field campaigns, and how to develop and run comprehensive campaigns.
- The ability and willingness to travel, and to work long hours, including weekend work as needed;
- Strong and effective verbal communication skills;
- Advanced writing and computer skills;
- Experience leading staff and members; ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required;
- Fluency in a second language is a plus.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid health and dental coverage for full-time employees and their qualified dependents, a retirement plan, and a car allowance for this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resumé and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Baltimore” in the subject line of your email. People of color and women are encouraged to apply.