Role & Responsibilities
Manage the totality of country project / program finance from 3 aspects, scope, time and cost via tight collaboration with HCPs, country directors and local finance teams, including, but not limited to define the project’s financial goals and objectives; create and maintain a project’s budget and schedule, analyse progress reported against the work schedules; and recommend actions to improve progress.
Medair GSO (Global Support Office) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Medair GSO Finance Department, is primarily focused on Medair financial and investment decisions, acts as a financial gatekeeper and strategic advisor in daily business operation and also mid to long-term strategic decisions of Medair, with streamlined and optimized key processes, via leveraging a fit-for-purpose system.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland, with regular field visits. Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Work in conjunction with Project Finance Manager and to the Team Lead to whom the incumbent reports to.
- Contribute to Project or program cycle from “Budget -> Proposal -> Report -> Audit”.
- Actively participate in Country Team Meeting with Programs (overview of funding/ spending status & projection).
- Conduct monthly (or quarterly) review meetings with relevant stakeholders and to act as a key point of contact to support the key stakeholders with business operation, capital and investment proposals. Oversee, identify plan deviations and recommend resolution or re-forecasts for project managers.
- Advise & direct the funding needs with the Country Director, Head of Country Program and Local Finance Manager.
- Monitor performance & determine improvement areas by developing key performance indicators for critical metrics.
- Build strong relationship with and provide financial support to business operation decision making.
- Proactively participate in Donor audits via collaboration with relevant parties. Ensure proper communication regarding audit observations are properly followed up on by various key stakeholders.
- Clearly understand & communicate donor requirements, and prepare donor reports in a proactive and timely manner. Compare various programs for efficiency across all projects.
- Balance the total funding request for Medair in totality and timeline with other finance team members.
- Manage project databases / systems to ensure timely information updates and control.
- Review and contribute to the preparation of annual field support bases budgets for the country programs.
- Contribute to the testing and roll out of the new ERP software (D365) in the specific area of project module and reports.
- Implementation of a new finance system (D365).
- Streamline and optimize the key processes related to Project Accounting & Finance / Management.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree with major in finance or accounting.
- Professional qualification in finance, audit and accounting.
- CPA (certified public accountant), CMA (certified managerial accountant), or CFA a strong preference
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Depending on the program / project, French is also preferred at an effective communication level.
Experience / Competencies
- 3-5 years working experience in accounting and finance for (field experience in the humanitarian or development sector a strong preference).
- Proficient in Excel; deep knowledge in Portfolio management; ERP and other systems as required to be highly productive in performing the job.
- Strong knowledge of accounting, finance, internal control and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with Program teams and other stakeholders to work through issues and operational challenges.
- Proven project financial management experience (to include budgeting, reporting and analysis and revenue recognition) preferably in a project-based organization.
- Good presentation skills and attention to detail.
- Strategic mind-set with mid-to-long term view.
- Excellent analytical ability with a good attention to detail with high capacity to draw intelligence from numbers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to present plans to support business decisions.
- Good time management skills, ability to prioritize workload and ability to work to strict reporting deadlines.
- Business Acumen: holding strong Field of knowledge for the position, specify in regard to Humanitarian essentials, Sphere and CHS standards, other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Team-spirited. Mindset of continuous-improvement.
- Mindset of proactive approach and preventive controls.
- Flexible yet facts-driven. Persistent and persuasive.
- Ability to work independently and remotely with very limited supervision.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to influence others.
- Self-motivated, hard-working, committed and able to develop, coach and support other team members.