Details: We offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications.
600 South Lafayette Park Place
Overview of Bright Star Schools Alumni Support and College Success Program
The Bright Star Schools Alumni Support and College Success Program is designed to track and support transitioning high school students into higher education and provide continued guidance to our former students (Alumni) during their college journey until graduation. The program will oversee retention efforts for Bright Star Schools (BSS) Alumni enrolled in public and private colleges, and vocational schools across the country. This program is a critical piece of Bright Star Schools' commitment to ensure that all Bright Star students, past and present, are successful in high school and higher education. The Alumni Support and College Success program is a data-driven and results-oriented program.
This position is part-time, 3 days a week, but may have the potential to become full-time in the future.
- Oversee, track, and support a caseload of several hundred students.
- Implement and develop initiatives that support Alumni in persisting, thriving, and graduating from higher education.
- Collaborate and communicate with High School Counselors, Director of Alumni Support and College Success, and other stakeholders to strengthen, further develop, and implement the strategic plan for the program based on the organizational vision and goals of Bright Star Schools, to ensure that all Bright Star alumni are prepared to transition through the five stages of the college admission process: aspiration, preparation, application, matriculation, and graduation.
- Share relevant information with principals, teachers, parents, support staff, and Bright Star Schools community, bi-monthly, to assess overall Bright Star students’ preparation and progress in higher education.
- Provide student outreach and college advising efforts at the college level and assess effective practice methods.
- Strategize and manage efforts to track progress of BSS Alumni by maintaining continuous contact with Alumni and provide effective support through the college application and matriculation process and through graduation.
- Coordinate in-person college visits with Alumni at local community colleges and identified local universities.
- Maintain regular communication with Alumni through a combination of in-person visits, social media, email, phone calls, alumni web pages and portal, text messages, semester newsletter and/or video conferencing.
- Provide support with Alumni Support and College Success event planning and program coordination.
- Assist Senior & College Counselor in teaching courses on financial aid awareness, social-emotional and academic skills building, career awareness and preparation, and college-readiness.
- Analyze data with Director of Alumni Support Program at the end of each semester to evaluate effectiveness of program and to determine areas and measure for growth.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s Degree in Education and/or Counseling credential highly desired
- At least two years’ experience working with high school students and/or college students (preferably from low-income backgrounds or traditionally underserved population)
- Experience working in college retention and persistence programming highly desired
- Strong knowledge of adolescent development
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities for first-generation college students.
- Spanish language fluency preferred
- High level of cultural competency working with and for Latino and African American communities
- Knowledge of the college admissions and financial aid process. Preferably some college counseling experience at the high school and/or college level
- Ability to develop strong relationships with Alumni, institutions, other charter school networks, and school site staff
- Must be comfortable with accessing and using technology to track progress of Alumni and further the goals of the Alumni Support & College Success Program
- Must work well in teams
- Proficient using social media and cloud-based data platform to track and support students
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and with a high level of attention to detail in a fast-paced, high-energy environment with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, and meet multiple deadlines
- Commitment to data-driven results and outcomes
- Unquestioned commitment to Bright Star Schools’ mission and values
- Must have the ability to travel to local colleges/institutions throughout Los Angeles
Minimum Education Required