131 Steuart Street
San Francisco, CA
As an Analyst, you will be instrumental in putting important student perception data into the hands of those making instructional and leadership decisions in K-12 schools. Being part of YouthTruth, a national nonprofit, gives you the chance to apply and grow your skills while making a difference in education.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You have a deep interest in and passion for education, and a belief in student voice as a powerful tool to make important changes in education.
- You are highly organized, analytical, and detail-oriented. You consistently produce high-quality, error-free work, reflecting an ability to complete tasks on time with quality and accuracy.
- You have an ability to quickly learn new tools, systems, and skills.
- You are flexible, adaptable, and reliable in a fast-paced environment.
- You are confident that your work can make a difference but humble in the knowledge that you are always learning and improving.
- You are a genuinely wonderful colleague to have around. You work well within a close knit-team as well as across other departments. You are also excellent at managing up. Your highly positive attitude, shared commitment to excellence, and thoughtfulness are valuable assets to the organization.
- Your interpersonal and communication skills allow you to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels of the organization as well as external contacts.
What You’ll Do:
You will work closely with YouthTruth’s energetic and diverse staff to provide district leaders, school principals and teachers with data-driven insights to enhance their effectiveness. The core function of this role is to create data-driven reports based on student survey results. More specifically, you can expect to be involved in the following:
Survey Administration & Reporting
- Co-manage survey administration, report template design, and innovation processes for YouthTruth’s surveys
- Create and administer online surveys for our clients on tight deadlines
- Generate data-driven reports for our clients in an online interactive platform
- Support client leads in preparing for advisory services to school administrators; support school administrators with data interpretation and application through phone consultations
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve operational and client issues
- Provide strong quality control of online surveys and report products
Process and Product Development
- Co-develop new features and processes to improve the efficiency of survey administration, data analysis, and data visualization
- Refine survey instruments and reports; contribute to new product development to meet school and district needs
- Contribute to analysis of the large-scale YouthTruth dataset; gather insights from our data for marketing, blogs, and communications
- Actively contribute to team discussions, collaborating on cross-team projects and helping to develop CEP’s internal knowledge base and operations
Your Background, Experiences, and Interests:
- College degree (B.S., B.A.) and 0-2 years of work experience (Ph.D. and experienced Masters level candidates will not be considered)
- Strong interest in and experience with analyzing data, and proficiency in basic statistics
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Experience with computer programming and querying languages such as SQL and/or Python is a plus: these languages form the basis of our surveying and reporting processes. All Analysts receive some training on these systems and work with them regularly.
Who We Are and What We Do:
Too often in education, important decisions are made without the voices of those most affected – the students! YouthTruth harnesses student and stakeholder perceptions to help educators accelerate improvements in their K–12 schools and classrooms. Through our validated survey instruments and tailored advisory services, YouthTruth partners with schools, districts, states, and educational organizations to enhance learning for all students. Since student perceptions are predictive of academic outcomes and teacher effectiveness, administrators use YouthTruth data to integrate what students really think into instructional and leadership decisions. Through YouthTruth's surveys, students in grades 3-12 provide feedback on their overall school experience and/or on specific teachers on the topics that matter most for student learning, like: student engagement, academic rigor, relationships with teachers, and school culture. YouthTruth also helps schools understand the perspectives of staff and family members. Results are shared through our interactive online reporting platform, which makes it easy to construct meaning from the data. For more information about YouthTruth's mission, team, and products and services, please visit www.youthtruthsurvey.org.
YouthTruth has surveyed over 700,000 students across 200 districts and networks, and is dramatically expanding. This position plays an important and unique role in supporting our rapid growth. YouthTruth is a small and dynamic team based in San Francisco, CA, and we function as an incubated start-up within the Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP). Our culture is highly productive, thoughtful, flexible, and fast-paced, and we value a keen eye for detail and a sense of humor.
Our nonprofit model is central to our identity: our bottom line is impact, not profit. Yet even as a nonprofit, we successfully compete for top talent across both the public and private sectors and offer competitive compensation and benefits through our parent organization, The Center for Effective Philanthropy, including:
- Competitive salary.
- Performance based incentive compensation plan.
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance plans.
- Generous paid time off plan, including up to 15 holidays, two weeks of accrued vacation, and two personal days per year.
- 401(k) plan with a 1:1 Employer Match up to 5% of total compensation.
- Generous annual personal professional development allowance.
- Flexible spending and dependent care tax free savings plans.
- Life insurance covered 100% by the organization.
We believe diversity and inclusion are key drivers of creativity and innovation, and we actively seek out candidates from many types of diverse backgrounds to apply for this exciting role.
CEP has offices in Cambridge Massachusetts and San Francisco, California, where the entire YouthTruth team resides. We enjoy each other’s company, and our ping pong table gets a lot of use.
Please fill out our application for employment and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. If you have any questions, please contact Leaha Wynn, Associate Manager, Human Capital at jobs [at] effectivephilanthropy [dot] org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Minimum Education Required