The Director, Foundations & Grants is responsible for supporting Met Council’s efforts to maintain, diversify and pursue funding resources. The Director, Foundations & Grants is in charge of the initial research of funding opportunities and is an integral part in aiding Met Council’s program development and fiscal soundness. The position will report directly to the Managing Director, Development and will also work closely with each program department as needed while pursuing new and current foundation funding.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with program staff, research to identify new grant and foundation prospects and funding opportunities, with a focus on the non-government sector.
- Draft acknowledgment letters, reports and select solicitation materials.
- Cultivate relationships with foundations, stewardship communications and supporting materials.
- Complete grant applications, tracking report deadlines, submissions and renewals.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with key foundation professionals, as needed.
- Assure grant process remains aligned with the core mission and with grant timelines in coordination with Executive Management, program staff, fiscal and contracts.
- Prepare written proposals and construct program budgets according to requirements and guidelines.
- Maintain computerized database to track and report on prospects, proposals in the pipeline and pending proposals.
- Represent agency in grant related stakeholder meetings when necessary.
- Support program staff in reporting narratives as the need arises.
- Apply a clear understanding of agency wide priorities and funding and programmatic needs to development of fundraising strategies.
- Stay abreast of best practices and strategies in the field of grants management and educate the development department as appropriate.
- Key contributing member of the Development Team to coordinate, communicate and collaborate with the department, as well as with other departments within Met Council.
Success Criteria and Measurements:
- Assure that the funding and grant writing process reflects the needs and strengths of the agency.
- Stay abreast of funding opportunities and successfully prioritize which grants best match Met Council’s mission and programmatic needs.
- Coordinate the grant writing process with agency wide staff.
- Manage the grant writing process, including collection of data from field staff, which is required for a complete and sound grant proposal.
- Strong Written Skills
- Creativity and Innovative Thinking
- Accountability and Dependability
- Attention to Detail
- Self Management and Strong Organizational Skills
- Ability to work as a Team Player
- Project Management
Skill and Education Required:
- Bachelors Degree required, Masters Degree preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in grant writing in the Social Services not for profit sector.
- Exceptional written communication and presentation skills, with the ability to teach these skills to staff.
- Experience in researching and prospecting of grants, foundations and corporate partners.
- Highly self motivated with the ability to work collaboratively with others and across functions.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Exceptional proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Required Constantly: Walking, sitting, grasping, bending, stooping, squatting, computer input, finger dexterity and coordination of hand, eye and foot.
- Required Frequently: Standing and climbing stairs; carrying laptop & files (approx. 8-10 lbs).
- Required Occasionally: Reaching above the shoulder, and lifting 5-25 pounds, pushing and pulling.