In this position, you will develop and implement our digital strategy, in order to connect our target audiences with our services.
You’ll also help increase contributions through the organization’s fundraising efforts by working on the Development Team to produce individual appeals campaigns, digital platforms for donations, and annual donor communications content for high donor retention. The PR and Marketing Fellow will also help with our main fundraising and awareness-boosting event, The Garden Party.
What you’ll do:
- Manage all social media
- Interact with earned media outlets for press opportunities
- Design and maintain some organization graphics
- Assist with annual appeals
- Oversee and implement all donor communication (annual report, printed donor newsletters, post cards, emails, thank you notes)
- Develop and implement marketing plan for our Alabama School Garden curriculum
- Develop and send e-newsletter and volunteer alerts
- Maintain website
What we look for:
We are looking for staff members who can actively help us achieve our goal of bringing a garden to every school in Alabama. Additionally, strong candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Believe in making our community a better place, through food
- Undergraduate or Associates Degree, preferably in Communications, English, or Advertising
- Strong writing skills, adaptable to different platforms and audiences
- Strong communications skills
- Be highly comfortable across all digital social media platforms
- Able to oversee multiple projects concurrently and remain organized
- Be adaptable to a dynamic work environment
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently
- Experience working on PR campaigns and writing PR materials, such as press releases, media packets, and PR strategy guides (preferred)
- Background knowledge in gardening (preferred)
- Experience working with WordPress (preferred)
- Community: we are a community-based organization and we live that motto on a daily basis. As a team member with SYR, you will feel part of a strong community of energetic people who want to make a big difference. We also take care of one another at SYR and as part of our team, you are joining our family.
- Making a Difference: you will be on the frontlines of positive change in our community. Your work will impact students for the rest of their lives. You have that power and we want to harness it.
- Produce! We grow deliciously fresh produce, using organic methods. Our staff is encouraged to take produce when it’s available (and share recipes, of course!).
- Beauty: the state of Alabama is stunningly beautiful. If you enjoy camping, lounging at the beach, swimming in watering holes, or even spelunking, it is all around us. Our team know some of the best spots to visit and we will be happy to share that knowledge with you.
This is a collaboration between Schoolyard Roots and the AmeriCorps VISTA program through the Corporation for National and Community Service. This is a one-year, full-time position. Fellows will receive an AmeriCorps Vista Allowances Package.
Minimum Education Required