Requisition ID: req2773
Job Title: Senior Payroll Manager
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The IRC Finance department seeks to achieve excellence in financial management by providing accurate and timely financial information to IRC management and programs and by adhering to established financial practices and accounting principles. The HQ Finance Team does this by supporting and training staff, by implementing and monitoring the implementation of IRC and donor policies and procedures, and by gathering the necessary financial information in preparation of the organizations' financial statements.
The Sr. Payroll Manager is responsible for setting the strategy for delivering all aspects of payroll including the accurate and timely processing of multiple payrolls, providing support for payroll accounting and related regulatory reporting and meeting all compliance and filing requirements. The Sr. Payroll Manager must also lead and collaborate with cross-functional colleagues to ensure the end-to-end payroll process is accurate, effective and efficient for all stakeholders. .
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for overseeing all aspects of HQ payroll for US domestic and expatriate employees
- Managing the external payroll provider, currently ADP, to ensure ADP is compliant with all aspects of the contract.
- Manage payroll related projects to drive accurate, timely and cost effective use of resources to improve any/all projects impacting payroll including payroll related system conversions.
- Maintaining accurate and timely quarterly and annual tax information in coordination with ADP.
- Supervise the payroll team (4 staff) ensuring payrolls are executed accurately, timely and any adjustments are properly reviewed and recorded.
- Responsive to addressing staff and management on payroll related queries.
- Provide management with expertise in the areas of US taxation, payroll requirements and reporting.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal government regulations; keeping current with changes in government requirements.
- Review and recommend improvement to existing payroll procedures, updating documented payroll procedures as necessary. Design and implement best practices to improve efficiency of end-to-end payroll processes.
- Analyze payroll problems, which can sometimes difficult to moderately complex, and provide appropriate resolutions
- Review monthly salary allocation/payroll journal entries.
- Ensure accurate and timely remittance of 403b retirement contributions and regular reconciliations.
- Liaison with Human Resources for HRIS integration with ADP related to technical issues, upgrades and ongoing maintenance.
- Prepare annual payroll reports for audit, insurance, 403b and other reporting as requested.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Controller.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Based at IRC Headquarters in New York, the Sr. Payroll Manager will report to the Associate Controller, oversee a team of 4 payroll staff (2 payroll managers, payroll accountant and payroll assistant) and will work closely with the members of the finance department in HQ, US Programs and International Offices as well as HQ Human Resources and Information Technology.
- Bachelors Degree, in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance
- Payroll certifications desirable
- Min. 5 years experience in supervisory-level payroll processing,
- Min. 7-10 years payroll expertise including US taxation rules
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Proven ability to lead a direct and cross-functional team through significant change projects
- Strategic approach to design and delivery of operational work
- Strong process mind-set
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work accurately, pay attention to details, and consistently meet deadlines
- Attention to detail, a drive for accuracy and a strong work ethic
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to be productive under pressure in a fast-paced team environment
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to be flexible and yet focused & reliable in an environment of frequently changing demands
- Proficient computer skills: MS Word, Excel, & Outlook
- Experience with ADP payroll software is required; knowledge of ADP Vantage is preferred
- The position will work in the New York City Headquarters location and is expected to be on-site
- Standard office work environment
- Relocation assistance is not available for this role
Minimum Education Required