3525 Moncure Avenue
Full Time Residential Services Specialist- Bailey's Crossroads Community Shelter
Summary of Position:
The Resident Services Specialist is responsible for monitoring the activities of the shelter on his/her shift to ensure a safe, manageable, positive energy, living environment. Focus is on the residents and how best to assist them during their stay. He/She is a member of the site team.
Some of the essential responsibilities of the Residential Services Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Ensures a safe and manageable living environment for the shelter residents. Monitors residential areas, is visible and interacts regularly and informally with shelter residents.
- Reads log book from previous shift to note any items that need attention.
- Completes essential forms for intake and checkout procedures for residents.
- Consults with Coordinator of Residential Services and case managers regarding residents' personal needs, behavior and service planning.
- Within limits assists residents in processing issues, problem solving, parenting, etc. Provides a positive role model for residents.
- Maintains all required documentation of residents’ activities on a current basis.
- Assists in dispensing medication to residents. On a daily basis counts all medications and updates medication log.
- Conducts breathalyzer and drug urine screens as needed.
- Distributes medication, medication vouchers, taxi vouchers, bus tokens, linens, and toiletries to residents in accordance with established procedures.
- Answers telephone and routes calls and messages to appropriate staff in a professional manner. Responds to in-person and telephone inquiries from the public about New Hope Housing, Inc. with a courteous and professional demeanor.
- Supervises resident chores and resident upkeep of their personal areas. Informs case manager when there are problems.
- Assists with resident activities and programs, as assigned.
- Accounts for all donations received during the shift. Controls access to donations by residents and secures donations as appropriate. Issue receipts to donors.
- Replenishes supply closet when needed. Assists in serving meals when needed. Monitors meal times at the Alexandria Community Shelter.
- Works flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and over nights as assigned.
- Models a caring, concerned, and respectful attitude toward residents.
- Maintains adherence to resident guidelines and upholds shelter procedures.
- Is familiar with and complies with policies and procedures of New Hope Housing.
- May orient, and/or supervise court-referred volunteers.
- Communicates regularly with referring agencies and maintains all required documentation, as assigned.
- Participates in all staff meetings and required trainings.
- Transports residents in agency vehicles, including agency's 15-passenger van on an as needed basis and only when requested by supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires the following:
- High School Diploma or the equivalent, and the required knowledge, skills, and abilities and have an interest in working with those who are
- homeless and the capability to be aware of their needs.
- Experience with homeless adults, mentally ill or substance abusers.
- Counseling and crisis intervention skills.
- Clinical experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Computer literate.
- The ability to successfully pass a background check and possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record to be approved by our insurance carrier.
New Hope Housing is proud to be an EOE/ADA employer that values diversity
Minimum Education Required