Communications and Development Manager
- Job posted by Womens Environment and Development Organization (WEDO)
147 Prince Street
Reports to: Director
Location: New York, NY (Possibility for remote work for exceptional candidates)
Work Permit: Visa Support/ Relocation Support is not possible. Candidates must have a valid work permit for the United States.
International travel is required.
The Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO) is a women’s global advocacy organization based in New York. Founded in 1991 in the run-up to the Earth Summit (UNCED, 1992,) WEDO has built a reputation as a trailblazer in promoting human rights, gender equality and the integrity of the environment, championing women’s rights particularly in sustainable development.
To support WEDO in a new phase of growth, the organization is seeking an experienced communications and development professional to create, manage and execute outreach campaigns and to develop new strategies to grow our network and generate revenue. The CD Manager’s responsibilities will include overseeing WEDO’s key institutional and individual fundraising strategies, tracking gifts and generating fundraising reports, ensuring a sustainable future for WEDO. The CD Manager will work closely with our Director, program team and Board of Directors. This is the perfect opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to social justice to make a significant impact on our growing organization’s future and impact.
- Support the Director to create communications plans / campaigns for international meetings and events, as well as donor engagement strategies;
- Supervise any/all communications and development related consultants;
- Draft bi-monthly communications to the WEDO network and institute innovative ways to engage across media platforms;
- Develop and execute initiatives to identify and cultivate new institutional and individual donors, as well as nurture relationships with current constituents;
- Manage the annual appeal. Generate donor mailing lists, identify new prospects, draft direct mail and email solicitations, track gifts, and process acknowledgment letters;
- With support from staff, spearhead WEDO’s annual review with a focus on impact;
- Manage seasonal communications interns;
- Manage the WEDO Ally Council.
- Passion and commitment to the goals of WEDO;
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred but not required);
- At least 2-5 years of nonprofit communications / fundraising experience in NGOs;
- Experience in utilizing social media / traditional media platforms for communicating complex information to a variety of audiences;
- Outstanding writing skills; general knowledge about women’s human rights and/or environmental / climate change issues; and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in grant-writing and reporting, special events, prospect research and major gifts;
- Experience with fundraising databases;
- Highly organized; able to provide leadership; work well in an informal, team-oriented environment; and have a sense of humor.
Desired qualifications (will strengthen candidacy)
- Website design and/or management skills (e.g., HTML, writing copy, updating content);
- Competence with Canva and/or Adobe Creative Suite;
- Knowledge of the UN system;
- International work and/or travel experience.
WEDO is an equal opportunity employer and encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work. WEDO provides a flexible benefits program at minimal cost to the employee. We offer a rewarding, friendly, supportive, and collaborative work environment, excellent health insurance coverage, paid time off, and employer pension contributions when eligibility criteria are met.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in written and spoken English is a must; knowledge of at least one other major UN language (especially French or Spanish) will be considered an asset
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit their application, including Resume and Cover Letter, no later than Friday, November 23, 2018. Applications are requested as soon as possible, and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. We appreciate all who are interested, but only successful candidates who meet eligibility criteria will be contacted. Please, no telephone enquiries. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.