Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Economic Development Consultant will provide expert advice, support, and leadership in planning, administering and implementing Newark Alliance’s economic development priorities. This is an ideal opportunity for a highly experienced nonprofit executive professional to provide strategic oversight and planning for a high-impact organization that is prioritizing Marketing/Branding, Corporate Attraction and a Coordinated Development/Investment Strategy for the City of Newark.
Responsibilities and Job Duties
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Leads research activities and efforts on behalf of the President & CEO on a variety of matters, and manages special projects.
● Focuses on research, marketing and outreach to attract corporate and other anchor institutions to Newark.
● Drives strategic stakeholder engagement needed to create data-driven policy.
● Oversees the tracking and monitoring of projects, action items, and strategies that stem from the President & CEO.
● Advises the President & CEO on real estate and development efforts and opportunities.
● Coordinates the activities of the Newark Development Committee and any subcommittees on issues including project financing, incentives, streetscape improvements, and other issues.
● Establishes and maintains relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental agencies, real estate developers and business groups, consultants, civic and community stakeholders, and cultural and professional organizations especially including the City of Newark Office of Planning and Zoning, NJEDA, Choose NJ.
● Monitors relevant city and state legislation and may interact with elected officials to shape local and state policy especially around economic incentives.
● Oversees the preparation of certain reports, presentations and other materials.
● Represents the organization externally speaking at events or panels, as necessary.
● Performs other duties, as assigned.
· Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
· Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
· Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
Education, Skills and Other Qualifications
· Advanced degree preferred (JD or Master’s in Urban Planning, Public Policy, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance or Economics)
· Familiarity with GIS and/or other mapping software preferred
· Basic fluency in design software
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Economic Development Consultant will provide expert advice, support, and leadership in planning, administering and implementing Newark Alliance’s economic development…