YIMBY Action is seeking a collaborative, entrepreneurial, and politically savvy leader to grow the pro-housing movement in San Francisco.
YIMBY Action is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit network of pro-housing activists fighting for more inclusive housing policies and a future of abundant housing. We drive policy change to increase the supply of housing at all levels and bring down the cost of living in opportunity-rich cities and towns. We envision an integrated society where every person has access to a safe, affordable home near jobs, services, and opportunity.
The San Francisco Executive Director will lead the fight for more inclusive policy in San Francisco, and oversee all strategy, fundraising, thought leadership, political relationships, coalition-building, and membership growth and management for the San Francisco region. They will serve as the primary point of contact for political and coalition relationships, and drive thought leadership in San Francisco to elevate pro-housing messages. They will also manage a team of over 50 “power volunteers” (known internally as Leads) and engage an additional 600+ members to grow the San Francisco YIMBY membership and empower members to drive even more effective pro-housing advocacy. The San Francisco Executive Director will be primarily responsible for raising the San Francisco budget and will also support YIMBY Action national fundraising.
Regional Membership Growth & Management
- Oversee and implement a regional strategy for list and membership growth.
- Drive political strategy for the YIMBY region, in alignment with YIMBY Action mission, belief system, and equity vision statement.
- Recruit and manage volunteer Leads to execute all regional activities.
- Oversee Leads to set and meet membership growth targets through membership drives and digital campaigns.
- Oversee Leads in ensuring members are well-trained by customizing and implementing YIMBY Action tools and training, including Intro to YIMBY.
- Oversee Leads in driving effective advocacy from members by overseeing participation in endorsements, electoral volunteerism activities, legislative advocacy, and project advocacy.
- Oversee Leads in keeping membership engaged through regular Intro to YIMBY events, member meetings, social events, and special member services and opportunities.
- Ensure enforcement of YIMBY Action Code of Conduct.
Political Relationships and Coalition-Building
- Cultivate relationships with relevant local elected officials and influencers.
- Advocate for inclusion of YIMBY agenda in local policymaking.
- Actively build relationships with key community groups.
- Drive coalition partners to support YIMBY legislative, electoral, and project advocacy.
Regional Fundraising and Board Management
- Oversee and leverage a Regional Advisory Board to support regional fundraising, coalition building, and membership growth.
- Meet fundraising goals by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, business, and foundation donors, growing membership dues, and/or managing fundraising events and campaigns.
- Support an additional raise of national dollars sourced from regional market by co-fundraising an additional “market goal” with YIMBY Action Director of Development.
- Leverage Regional Advisory Board and YIMBY Action national Board of Directors to support regional fundraising.
Thought Leadership and Communications
- Collaborate with YIMBY Action Executive Director to build buzz and visibility for YIMBY activities.
- Drive social media outreach.
- Develop relationships with local media and press contacts.
- Participate in panels, television and radio shows, conferences, and other speaking engagements.
YIMBY Action National Collaboration
- Collaborate regularly with YIMBY Action national team, Leads, and regional staff.
- Advise in the development of YIMBY Action centralized tools, training, and infrastructure.
Please complete the form here.