Avaaz is searching for a brilliant, talented individual to work with one of our Senior Campaigners, Oscar Soria, based out of our Union Square office in New York City. Fluency in English required, and Spanish language skills are highly desired.
Oscar’s assistant needs to be a logistics and organizing guru who can maintain his appointment schedule by organizing meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel, while also ensuring Oscar stays on track with all current project deadlines. We’re also looking for someone who can conserve his time by reading, researching, routing correspondence, and collecting and analyzing information alongside him.
However, he isn’t looking for an assistant who can solely provide administrative support (though that will be a significant part of the role!). Oscar is looking for someone who can be an “extension of his brain and hands,” complementing his skills, effectively managing him throughout his day. As a Senior Campaigner, Oscar works heavily on persuading key actors in the global media, governments, and civil society and we are looking for an assistant who can thrive in these nimble circumstances.
He’s looking for someone who can also understand the interplay between Avaaz’s campaigns, advocacy and media teams. His assistant needs to understand the ins and outs of the organization, communicate effortlessly with Avaaz’s global team as well as external parties, and brief him accurately and succinctly on the myriad of work streams that need his attention. He requires a smart and savvy writer who can copy edit excellently, and has the confidence to draft letters on his behalf to Avaaz’s allies and partners.
In addition to the work alongside Oscar, this position will be a member of our Operations team. They will take on exciting projects within the larger organization, such as planning team retreats and organizing logistics for media stunts and campaign deliveries. This is a challenging and exciting position at the heart of one of the most innovative and promising public organizations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to develop and pursue large-scale social change efforts.
- Monitor Oscar’s inbox, organise his priorities, and keep him on task through each day.
- Organise schedules, meetings, travel and logistics under tight deadlines.
- Arrange logistics for meetings, events, etc.
- Provide administrative and operational assistance, particularly when he is on field missions.
- Facilitate quick and easy communication between him and the rest of the team; prepare reports by collecting and analyzing information.
- Identify challenges and plan ahead for relevant global events that would require Oscar’s attention (i.e. UN summits, G20, BRICS, EU conferences, Davos, etc.)
- Maintain and update highly confidential correspondence with professionalism and ease, securing information by completing database backups.
- Support Oscar in conducting research, scouting, and intelligence gathering.
- Ensure effective and timely response to senior staff and external high level stakeholders.
- Other administration and organizational tasks as part of the Operations, Media and Advocacy teams, including helping to plan bi-annual team retreats.
- Demonstrable passion and commitment to social justice.
- Great attention to detail, as well as excellent communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, Google mail and docs management experience preferred.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Diplomatic demeanor, emotional intelligence, and resilience in dealing with logistical challenges. Experience in remote high-risk field support is an asset.
- Previous experience in supporting non-profits executives, or high-level executive support with complex travels and busy fluid schedules.
- Enough experience in logistical remote support for non-profit executives, activists, or war correspondents on assignments on the ground.
- Background in media (including in producing, reporting, live television or supporting role to editors or senior correspondents) is an asset.
- Ability to produce information by transcribing, formatting, and transmitting text, data, and graphics
- Fluency in English is a requirement, and familiarity with Spanish is desirable.
Salary varies with experience, but is highly competitive with leading non-governmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English is a requirement, and familiarity with Spanish is desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our hire page and submit an application.