Communications Associate - DC Office
Details: salary commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
West Harlem Environmental Action, Inc. d/b/a WE ACT for Environmental Justice (WE ACT) is a non-profit, community-based, environmental justice organization dedicated to building community power to fight environmental racism and improve environmental health, protection and policy in communities of color.
WE ACT accomplishes its mission through community organizing, education and training, advocacy and research, and public policy development.
WE ACT is seeking a Communications Associate for our Federal Policy office in DC
The Communications Associate is expected to fulfill the following responsibilities for the role. As WE ACT evolves and grows, these responsibilities may change and encompass additional areas within the communications department:
· Provide public affairs support for the organization’s Federal Policy office, including driving rapid response campaigns and issues advocacy.
· Provide media relations and digital communications support in conjunction with the Director of Communications, with an emphasis on both federal policy and supporting the Environmental Justice Leadership Forum, a national alliance of environmental justice groups from 20 states and the District of Columbia.
· Help generate on-target content for the website and other digital channels of both WE ACT and the Environmental Justice Leadership Forum.
· Support the Federal Policy office communications needs, including securing speaking opportunities, developing presentations, working on grants, and coordinating and executing a variety of events.
· Monitor current events and trends relevant to the organization and anticipate potential public statements, dissemination of information and assembling news clips, streams and feeds for distribution to staff.
· Track and analyze communications data and produce reports for evaluating the effectiveness of select activities.
· Oversee the maintenance of WE ACT’s Washington, D.C. office database. Coordinate mailings with other internal and external resources.
This role is a good fit for someone with these qualifications and skills:
- 3+ years of experience in communications, with an emphasis in public affairs, public relations, and/or messaging/campaign support
- Experience managing projects with many moving parts
- Experience with all the digital communications tools, including social media, email newsletters (ideally using Mail Chimp), and maintaining and updating a website (ideally using WordPress).
- Experience disseminating research findings and with data analysis
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Ability to produce clear, compelling, and client-ready written deliverables
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment, changing timelines, complex deliverables, and many levels of approval
- Creativity and analytical-thinking skills
- Strong work ethic, can-do attitude, and a high level of follow-through and self-motivation
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe suite,
- Passion for cultivating relationships and forging partnerships
- Sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree
Additional skills and experience preferred:
· Experience with and/or passion for environmental justice and/or social justice
· Connections with media and other decision-makers relevant to the organization
· Design skills and experience (graphic design and/or video)
· Spanish language proficiency
This is an excellent opportunity to get in on the ground floor of our federal policy team for someone willing to invest the time and energy to really make a difference in frontline communities across the country.
Options of fully paid or partially paid medical benefits, dental , vision, small life insurance through ADP, pre tax metro and 401K.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish reading and writing a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume along with writing samples to our Director of Administration and Human Resources Evelyn Joseph at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note phone calls will not be accepted a form of applying. Please include your references.
We especially encourage people of color, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people, and people directly impacted by criminalization and other systems of oppression to apply..