The Emergence Project (TEP) is an innovative youth workforce and leadership development program for foster youth aged 16-21. When these young adults age out of the system, they must become 100% self-sufficient. TEP is designed to empower foster youth to develop the tools needed to navigate successfully in the broader world.
This position will report to the Vice President of Development, receive hands-on-training from a program consultant and will connect with Little Flower’s Preparing Youth for Adulthood and Transition to Work teams as needed.
During the twelve-week semester (offered in the fall and spring), young people learn how to dress professionally, write a resume, interview and speak in public. They attend workshops at some of New York City’s most successful businesses and learn how to perform in a professional environment. Graduates are placed in six-week paid summer internships at those and other companies.
Through these experiences, TEP youth begin to see new possibilities for themselves and acquire crucial social, cultural and emotional skills to negotiate foreign, and often uncomfortable, environments and situations.
Summary Job Description:
Little Flower is seeking a youth development leader for a Program Manager role who will work directly with foster youth aged 16-21. This person will have a desire to innovate in the field and the motivation to build out program infrastructure, by expanding involvement of youth and business leaders. The role includes hands-on training from a program consultant and will connect with Little Flower’s Preparing Youth for Adulthood and Transition to Work teams as needed.
- In collaboration with VP and program consultant, ensure fidelity to innovative, performance-based program model that combines youth, workforce and cultural development.
- Attend to and build a team culture that supports TEPs commitment to the gro wth and development of its young people.
- Develop and maintain safe, supportive and demanding environment that responds to and supports the needs of each young person and the youth cohort as a whole, such that the youth begin to see new possibilities for themselves.
- Connect youth to other critical support resources within and outside of their agency.
- In partnership with VP, achieve programmatic expansion goals. Lead and be responsible for youth recruitment, retention and internship placement.
- Support the VP in relationship-building with corporate executives and volunteers; connect them with involvement activities in TEP specifically and LF generally.
- Responsible for coordinating and maintaining open, timely and ongoing communication with key Little Flower and corporate stakeholders.
- Identify stories and data that share program impact.
- Participate in ongoing program evaluations.
- Manage budget.
- Build and enhance relationships with business leaders and corporate partners.
- Responsible for incorporating data inquiry as a critical learning tool for program improvement.
- Prior demonstrated success working with afterschool youth leadership/arts-based/workforce programs with at-risk and minority youth ages 16-21.
- Experience engaging and building relationships with diverse stakeholders including at-risk/poor teens, business leaders and human services/child welfare professionals.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, attentiveness to detail and ability to follow through with multiple projects.
- Interpersonal skills that excel in cultural sensitivity, respect for differences and effective communication.
- Experience with collaborative, team-oriented environments.
- Passion for innovation approaches to youth development.
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial, fast paced setting.
- Familiar with New York Metro Area business community and corporate social responsibility efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3 years relevant work experience, child welfare experience preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including comfort with public speaking
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Flexibility to work some evenings as well as special events
- Familiarity with Connections software a plus
This position is located in Brooklyn, NY.
Competitive Medical/Dental Benifits Package
403B Pension Plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email Resume and Cover Letter to
Fax to: Human Resources Department