Middle School Program and High School Access Coordinator
- Job posted by Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia
Details: $12-15 per hour, approximately 15 hours per week including 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturdays; 40 hours per week during nine-week summer program
34 W. Coulter Street
The Middle School Program and High School Access Coordinator administers Breakthrough’s rigorous school year academic enrichment program located at Germantown Friends School and Drexel University for college-bound high school students from area public and charter schools. This individual is also responsible for coordinating the resources required for program operations including the needs of volunteers, including college-aged Teaching Fellows and professional Instructional Coaches that participate in the program. Additionally, this role works closely with other members of the program team and role reports to the Program Manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Site Coordination
- Implement high quality school year academic enrichment for 7th – 9th grade students following the Breakthrough Philadelphia curricula and program model including academic courses in literature, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies, high school preparation workshops, and executive functioning and leadership skills.
- In conjunction with the Case Manager, develop and maintain relationships with middle school students and their families to support and track the academic and middle school success and high school preparation progress for each enrolled student.
- Manage full operations of Breakthrough’s middle school year program and special events in collaboration with the program team serving as the operations manager and student services coordinator.
- Support additional aspects of Breakthrough’s program operations as determined by Breakthrough leadership.
- Implement high quality summer academic enrichment for 7th, 8th and 9th grade students following Breakthrough’s curricula and program model which requires extended work days during the nine-week summer program from June through August.
- Develop and maintain relationships with middle school students and their families.
- Track each student’s academic and social progress at Breakthrough and in school.
- Manage full operations of Breakthrough’s special events including supervision of students and volunteer Teaching Fellows.
- In collaboration with other program staff, train and support Breakthrough college student teachers for participation in Breakthrough programs.
- Participate in cross-department planning to help shape and implement organization initiatives.
- Uphold high expectations for students and Teaching Fellows who participate in the Breakthrough program.
- Support additional aspects of Breakthrough’s program operations as determined by organizational leadership
High School Access
· Manages and maintains assigned caseload of students to track and support the academic preparation and progress toward selective high schools
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date student records to monitor academic preparation, progress, and persistence
· Communicate with and provide support services and/or resources to students’ families in support of high school objectives
· Detailed-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
· Motivate students to explore and reach beyond their experiences
· Maintain a process for supporting and tracking key application data for high school using the student database (Salesforce)
· Ensure enrollment of 95% of 8th grade class into college preparatory high schools
· Complete and submit all required assignments and projects in a timely manner
· Maintain a core schedule throughout the week with flexibility to individual availability and organizational needs
- Pursuing or Achieved Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year university
- Experience training or coaching others in an educational setting
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and deliver commitments in a timely manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and cloud-based document management systems
- Ability to lead, motivate, and collaborate with diverse individuals and groups
- Outstanding presentation, writing, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Flexibility, ability to accommodate student and family schedules
- Creative, energetic and committed to excellence
Minimum Education Required