Day One seeks an energetic and creative candidate to manage its Community Education and Training Department. This position will report to the Director of Social Services and Training.
Day One Overview
Since 2003, Day One has been the only organization in New York devoting its full resources to preventing intimate partner violence (IPV) among young people. Day One partners with youth to end dating abuse and domestic violence through community education, supportive services, legal advocacy and leadership development. Our multi-disciplinary approach brings together a highly collaborative staff with expertise in legal, social service and education service provision. Serving New York City youth up to 24 years of age, our Direct Services Program provides direct legal representation, advice and information, individual and group counseling and case management services to clients. Through the Community Education and Program, Day One educates young people in schools and youth programs about IPV, consent, and healthy relationships, and trains professionals and parents to support teens experiencing abuse. Our Youth Voices Network is a group of young survivors who conduct awareness and advocacy projects, sharing their stories to promote healing and prevention. Day One recognizes that anti-violence work is emotionally demanding and professionally complex. We strive to create an office culture that invests in the wellness of staff and leads to employee sustainability. Office policies are designed to promote healthful practices and establish a supportive and collaborative environment for and among staff.
Responsibilities of Training Manager
Training Development and Delivery
- Implement Day One’s existing training curricula to professionals city-wide, including social workers, teachers, medical providers, NYPD personnel, lawyers, and ACS personnel among others
- Lead the development of all new professionals’ curricula and training materials, including development of new content areas, train-the-trainer guides, employee training video or audio, participant materials and evaluation materials
- Ensure consistency across Day One training materials and practices
- Tailor materials to the specific needs of the audience, exhibiting a highly personalized training approach
- Work with Day One staff to determine program direction and expansion, including participating in strategic planning and program evaluation activities
- Deliver webinars or other “virtual” trainings (experience preferred)
Supervision and Program Management
- Represent Day One at community-based events, panels and conferences
- Participate in community meetings on behalf of Day One
- Develop and maintain community and institutional relationships with potential and current training recipients
- Provide training support to, and supervise the organization’s community education and training team, including educators who work with youth aged 5-24
- Ensure that annual program outcome goals are met, in collaboration with team
- Report to funders and others as required and appropriate
- Monitor budget collaborate with Finance Department
- Participate in recruitment, hiring and orientation of new team members
- Collaborate with Day One staff to take on other related duties as assigned
- Demonstrated group facilitation and public presentation skills required, minimum of 2 years training/teaching experience
- Commitment to the empowerment of, and deep experience working with, young people. Minimum 3 years required.
- Content area expertise in youth development programming and/or anti-violence, strongly preferred
- Undergraduate or graduate degree, or equivalent experience, in related field of education, social work, law very helpful
- Flexibility and capacity to deliver occasional early morning, evening or weekend trainings
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative setting
- Experience supervising a dynamic and forward thinking staff
- Exceptional written, verbal and organizational skills
- Interest in working in a medium-sized nonprofit setting to support a growing organization
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail and time management skills
- Experience with Word, Excel and CRM database systems preferred
- Bilingual a plus
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; a 401k retirement plan with match; and generous vacation.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send by email a resume and a cover letter, including gender pronouns, to Michele Paolella, Director of Social Services and Training at firstname.lastname@example.org. We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One.
Day One does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are genuinely committed to these principles of equity and inclusion, which are core to our organizational culture and our approach to service. To truly make a difference, we must ensure that our staff, partners, volunteers and supporters reflect the communities in which we work.