The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and we believe that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through our grants, we seek to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. It makes grants in four core program areas (Higher Learning, Arts and Culture, Public Knowledge, and Humanities in Place). The Foundation seeks a Data Visualization Analyst to join the Data Management Team.
The overarching goal for Foundation operations is to enable efficient, collaborative, and impactful work both within the Foundation and with our broader community, work that is consistent with our social justice mission. The Data Management team works to achieve this through the management and configuration of the Foundation’s grants management system, Fluxx, and its associated workflows and processes. The Data Management team also strives to leverage the learnings of the Foundation by classifying, analyzing, and reporting on grant information.
This new role will help the Foundation define and execute on its business intelligence and data visualization needs through the development of reports, visual analytics, and dashboards, focused primarily on grantmaking information. Successful candidates for this role must have critical thinking skills, be creative, curious, resourceful, and have a passion for conveying a wide range of information through polished and engaging reports and visuals.
The Data Visualization Analyst will report to the Director of Grant Information Systems (“Director”) and partner with staff from across the Foundation including, Institutional Research, Communications, Operations, Information Technology, and program staff.
The responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
· Respond to ad-hoc requests for grant-related information and data visualizations.
Required Skills and Experience:
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
· A bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, or a related field, Master’s degree preferred.
· 5+ years of professional experience in a research and data visualization environment.
· Expertise building and creating engaging and effective dashboards and data visualizations with common visualization tools such as Power BI and Tableau.
· Experience working with multiple data systems, large relational databases, and SQL.
· Knowledge of statistical analysis, modeling, and tools such as R, STATA, SPSS, and Crystal Reports.
· Excellent visual skills and experience working with communications and branding professionals.
· Creative vision, a passion for learning and willingness to adopt and share new ideas.
· Excellent communication skills, with the ability to work with a wide variety of departments.
· Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, with a careful attention to detail.
· Simultaneous ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently, and the ability to function effectively under uncertainty.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume to: Data Visualization Analyst
The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and we believe that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through our grants, we…