District of Columbia
Position: This is a full-time professional position based in Washington, DC, expected to last two years. The person in this position will report to the Legal Director & Securities Specialist. The successful candidate will be a dynamic, proactive, articulate, and highly motivated professional who will work with the Legal Director and other staff members on a variety of important and interesting projects.
Company Information: Better Markets (www.bettermarkets.com) is a non-profit, non-partisan, and independent organization founded in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis to promote the public interest in the financial markets, support the financial reform of Wall Street, and make our financial system work for all Americans again. We pursue these goals through a variety of activities, including comment letters on proposed agency rules, in-depth research reports, litigation in the federal courts, and advocacy through all mainstream and social media channels.
Highlights: The successful candidate will assist us in all aspects of our work, including research on a variety of topics; the preparation of comment letters, legal briefs, and reports; and other matters as they arise. This position offers a terrific professional experience, as the candidate will have the opportunity to work on important, interesting, and high-profile matters under the supervision of accomplished attorneys in a collegial environment located in the heart of downtown Washington, D.C.
• Conduct legal research relating to securities, commodities, and banking law; financial market regulation; administrative law; standing; procedural rules governing district and circuit court practice; and other topics;
• Monitor court dockets and digest and organize court filings and opinions;
• Proofread, Shepardize, and cite-check documents;
• Monitor developments in financial regulation;
• Perform other tasks in support of our mission as assigned.
• J.D. degree, with five to ten years of experience and membership in a state bar;
• Excellent legal research, writing, and oral communication skills;
• Proficiency in the use of Westlaw, CourtLink, PACER, Word, and preferably Excel;
• A basic understanding of securities, commodities, or banking law;
• A commitment to working for the public interest and a strong work ethic;
• An ability to work cooperatively with others in a small team environment;
• Experience in litigation, appellate practice, or law review is desirable.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits.
Application Process: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the attention of Stephen Hall at email@example.com.
Start Date: ASAP.
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the attention of Stephen Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org