6120 Ridge Avenue
About Roxborough Development Corporation
The Roxborough Development Corporation’s (RDC) mission is to provide Roxborough residents with high quality shopping, dining and entertainment experiences. Central to this mission is a commitment to reinvigorate Roxborough’s principal business district, the Ridge Avenue commercial corridor.
Ridge Avenue is the commercial corridor for the Roxborough neighborhood of Northwest Philadelphia. The Roxborough Development Corporation’s (RDC) Board, volunteers, and staff have been working hard since 1992 to enhance Ridge Avenue by promoting special events, beautifying and cleaning Ridge Avenue, helping existing business to expand while recruiting new ones, and marketing and communicating about the corridor and the organization throughout the year.
By 2020 the RDC seeks to advance Ridge Avenue as the heart and hub of the neighborhood where residents ﬁnd a thriving commercial district. To learn more about RDC and our work visit www.roxboroughpa.com.
The RDC is committed to being an employer of choice for candidates looking to work in the community/economic development field. We have worked hard to be recognized nationally for our focused, comprehensive revitalization strategy that keeps our community vibrant and sustainable. RDC’s business environment provides employees with opportunities for personal growth and success.
The RDC’s Core Services Include:
About This Position
The RDC has created this full-time position to expand the organization’s capacity to conduct targeted marketing, communication, fundraising and special events. Building off of existing communication channels and special event programming, the position will spearhead new strategies aimed at aggressively communicating good news about the Ridge Avenue commercial district. The role will influence the RoxboroughPA brand by molding online conversations, creating compelling stories and undertaking strategic approaches to relationships and fundraising.
The Marketing & Communications Manager will provide critical support to the RDC interacting directly with current and prospective stakeholders. This position will work very closely with the RDC’s Executive Director to create and execute a marketing, communications and fundraising plan. Below is a list of activities that reflect current thinking. It is anticipated that this list will be refined and prioritized over time with the person in this position.
- Oversee, support, organize and manage special events with staff such as the annual Art Is Life and Roxtoberfest street festivals.
- Develop and implement fundraising campaign activities for special programs, projects and initiatives.
- Identify, solicit and secure cash, in-kind donations or sponsorships from individuals, business or government donors.
- Manage external online communications e.g., a monthly e-newsletter that will require developing the annual schedule, identifying possible topics to vet with staff, identifying targets for segmented messaging, copywriting, layout and overseeing distribution.
- Coordinate RDC-sponsored networking and outreach activities.
- Identify and monitor neighborhood press content for emerging topics in discussion forums, analyze trends, and suggest content for external communications.
- Maintain active web presence on the recently redeveloped www.roxboroughpa.com website, e.g., identify industry sites to monitor daily for content to inform posts, manage calendar, update promotional information and review web analytics.
- Help RDC staff prepare for committee meetings, e.g., conduct targeted research, prepare slide presentations.
- Manage social media strategy and protocols.
- Co-author staff articles and publications.
- Copywriting and creating on target, up-to-date online content.
- Manage relationships with graphic designers, photographers and other 3rd party communication companies.
- Design on brand marketing and communications materials.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications (preferred), or demonstrated knowledge and skills in these areas.
One to three years previous work experience in related activities, such as a marketing, fundraising, special event management and communications preferred.
The ideal candidate is:
- Energized by an opportunity to create a marketing and communications system and play a hands-on role in its execution.
- Familiar with and committed to community/economic development.
- Outgoing with excellent emotional intelligence and inter-personal communication skills.
- A strong writer, with character and good graphic sense.
- A skilled researcher.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Working experience in social media marketing.
- Accustomed to working both independently and as part of a team.
Reports to the Executive Director
Competitive based upon experience and education.
The RDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The RDC does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, compensation requirements and 1-2 relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Marketing & Communications Manager Position in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until Friday, November 23, 2018. No telephone inquiries please.