The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and ambitious market researcher and development specialist to upgrade and lead organization-wide efforts for consumer research and market development. This is a great opportunity to contribute to sustainable and nutritious food systems for some of the world’s poorest people by joining a leading international agricultural research center.
About the position
The Technical Lead: Consumer Insights and Market Development will lead CIP’s engagement with food market systems in Africa and South Asia, with an initial focus on biofortified sweetpotato where demand for collaboration from commercial partners has grown strongly. The overall purpose of this new position is to improve the market orientation of CIP’s technology development and delivery programs and partnerships focusing on low-income consumers in rural and urban markets. The Technical Lead will be able to apply latest approaches and methodologies for consumer research, market system analysis, supply chain development and demand creation. S/he will link CIP with leading consumer and market research partners and relevant food system and agri-business networks in Africa, South Asia and globally. The position will contribute to wider CGIAR research programs on markets and nutrition. S/he will report to CIP’s global sweetpotato program leader and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Provide research and technical leadership to CIP’s program portfolio in the area of consumer research, market system analysis, and market development, including during program design, work planning, advanced trainings, operational research, and reviews and evaluations.
- Lead the design and implementation of consumer insights, market system strengthening and demand creation components in current programs to scale up the utilization of biofortified sweetpotato to improve nutrition among low-income consumers in rural and urban markets.
- Initiate and implement targeted research activities to further the understanding of consumer behavior, market systems constraints, and the effectiveness of market systems strengthening options focused on low-income rural and urban consumers and capturing social inclusion, gender and youth considerations. This research will combine up-to-date qualitative and quantitative methodologies and make use of targeted surveys, ethnographic studies, and use of syndicated data.
- Lead the design and oversee implementation of a new demand creation strategy for CIP, starting with the sweetpotato program.
- Lead the production of scientific and technical publications based on this research work and contribute to dissemination through international conferences and similar forums.
- Develop and manage new partnerships with leading consumer and market research institutes and food industry and agri-business networks with a view of strengthening the contributions of sweetpotato and potato to food systems of importance to the poor.
- Contribute to strengthening the capacity of CIP and partner teams for implementing consumer and market analysis and demand creation.
- Contribute to global knowledge sharing and collaborative research through multi-crop CGIAR research programs on markets, nutrition and agri-food systems.
Who are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (MSc, MBA) in a field related to market research, business development or social sciences. PhD in social or behavioral science and/or training in agri-food sector preferred.
- At least 6 to 8 years of experience in a similar position.
- Excellent command of qualitative and quantitative methodologies relevant for consumer and market systems research.
- Strong hands-on experience of working or partnering with the commercial private sector in the agriculture or food sector.
- Direct experience applying market analysis and demand creation approaches in the context of international development programs, preferably within Africa or Asia.
- Up-to-date understanding of international food security, nutrition and social development context and familiarity with main research approaches in these areas.
- Strong track record of original research and publications in relevant areas.
- Proven track record of excellent project management and reporting skills.
- Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the team and across partner organizations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in resource-poor, rural areas.
What are we offering?
- Exciting career opportunities in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contracts with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.