2 Boylston Street
The International Institute of New England, a nongovernmental, not-for-profit, New England-based organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants, is seeking an Office Manager at its Boston office.
A dynamic, forward-looking, smart and rapidly growing non-profit organization, we seek well-qualified, solutions-focused candidates who are experts in their respective fields. Candidates need to approach issues creatively and thoughtfully. In addition, all candidates should possess the following set of qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Detail-oriented, able to multitask and meet deadlines
- Self-motivated, able to work in a team and independently
Reports to: Operations Manager
The Office Manager maintains the Boston office by helping codify and uphold office operations and procedures, ensuring submission of administrative documentation in a timely manner, managing the reception area and protocols; coordinating correspondence, designing and implementing filing systems, reviewing and approving supply requisitions, and performing other clerical functions as needed or requested. The Office Manager has overall responsibility for the facility that houses the International Institute of New England – Boston, provides administrative support and bookkeeping for IINE-Boston’s operations, and manages the front desk.
- Bachelor’s degree, in related field and at least 1 year of related experience
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and process unexpected duties and deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with vendors
- Experience working reception or in an external-facing position
- Bookkeeping and data-entry experience; familiarity with Apricot and Salesforce preferred
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must be able to manage calendars and schedule events
- Knowledge of standard practices with respect to following an institution’s policies and with an eye towards simplifying processes
- Strong writing skills (writing sample required)
- Effective communicator; should be comfortable working as part of a team and expressing innovative or critical ideas
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- A strong sense of discretion and confidentiality
- Experience working with refugees and immigrants a plus
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage opening and closing of the site
- Foster a professional and friendly atmosphere for all staff, clients, and visitors
- Manage reception area and interns at the front desk
- Answer and route a high volume of phone calls; take accurate messages, and screen calls for Site Administrators and the Central Office.
- Provide accurate, service-oriented responses to a wide variety of inquiries, both in person and via phone, while maintaining Institute standards and confidentiality policies. Refer to manuals, calendars, and databases to answer client and visitor questions.
- Provide information to the public about the organization, its mission, and its services.
- Schedule client appointments, and maintain appointment calendars.
- Maintain the Reception Binder and have appropriate materials on hand for all clients and visitors.
- Ensure that the reception area, conference rooms, and common areas are clean, organized, and uncluttered.
- Orient and train new staff and interns in office procedures and use of office equipment, including front desk coverage
- Schedule coverage for own lunch breaks and absences.
- Redirect information, meeting, client, and contract-related requests to the appropriate staff member(s)
- Maintain and update the Boston site program schedule and room schedules in consultation with department managers
- Coordinate administrative purchases for IINE-Boston and the Central office in consultation with the Operations Manager.
- Supervise the maintenance of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, phone sets, and access card system and card readers
- Review reimbursements for all IINE-Boston staff and prepare for Program Director’s approval
- Review and distribute incoming mail, packages, and faxes; handle all outgoing mail and packages.
- Check the fax machine at day’s end and distribute or discard any remaining faxes, and review and distribute any other printed materials that have not been collected by the end of the day.
- Assist with meetings and events; process party and lunch catering orders as requested. Help set-up and break down rooms for events.
- Handle other clerical/administrative tasks and special projects as needed.
- Work with the Boston Site Director to ensure that all employees are alerted about winter and other weather-related closings.
- Support project-based data entry as requested.
- Maintain and update inventories related to the facility, IINE equipment, and offsite document storage.
- Maintain and update phone systems: change voicemail for holidays/cancellations, communicate changes in phone numbers to the Operations Manager, and serve as a resource for staff with questions about the system and its services.
- Participate in the Adult Continuing Education program’s marketing meetings and provide feedback on clients’ reception of IINE’s campaigns.
- Assist the Operations Manager with data-entry and other administrative projects as needed
- Maintain updated contact information for all Advisory Council members.
- Input prospect information into Salesforce and Apricot.
- Provide updated contact information for all IINE employment partners
- Collect cash, credit, and money order payments for Legal Immigration Forms Services
- Support the collect of tuition payments for the Adult Continuing Education Program in the absence of the Collections Associate
- Enter payment data in Salesforce and generate receipts and reports for each transaction
- Reconcile all payments against reports at the end of each day with the Operations Manager, reconcile receipts against reports with the Operations Manager on a monthly basis
- Serve as the chief point of contact for the finance department for any questions regarding collections
Minimum Education Required