360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an energetic advocate with a commitment to social justice to fill a position as Immigration Practice Administrator.
Since opening our doors in 1997, The Bronx Defenders has served over 300,000 clients in Bronx County. The Bronx Defenders pioneered a model of legal representation called holistic defense, designed to fight both the causes and consequences of court-involvement. Our staff of over 280 lawyers and advocates work on interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal defense, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom work to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy to our clients. The Bronx Defenders also houses a community organizing and an impact litigation team, serving as a community resource and force for systemic change. We engage with clients, community residents, and policymakers as we seek ways to better serve the Bronx community and enhance access to justice for all.
The Bronx Defenders pioneered the model of integrated criminal defense and immigration representation over fifteen years ago. Immigration attorneys work closely with clients and their advocates throughout the pendency of their cases in both Criminal and Family Court to avoid or mitigate negative immigration consequences. Additionally, immigration attorneys at The Bronx Defenders represent clients in deportation proceedings in both detained and non-detained settings, provide affirmative immigration services, and pursue community-based systemic reform litigation and advocacy aimed at reforming unforgiving federal immigration laws. Since November 2013, our immigration attorneys have also served as assigned counsel at the Varick Street Immigration Court under the New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP), the first-ever universal representation project in immigration court. Our Immigration Practice consists of 28 attorneys (including the managing director and 4 supervisors), 2 social workers and 3 legal advocates.
The Bronx Defenders seeks a passionate advocate to fill role of Immigration Practice Administrator, who will report to the Legal Administrative Manager.
- Create intake files and folders for immigration attorneys and advocates who collaborate on interdisciplinary teams to mitigate the immigration consequences of a criminal, family or civil case
- Order and retrieve transcripts
- Obtain criminal history/record information using databases such as CRIMS and webCRIMS
- File motions in immigration court and other venues as needed
- Request and obtain copies of court files/records
- Request and retrieve certificate of dispositions
- Create affidavit of service when necessary
- Request additional client records as necessary
- Schedule video conferences with incarcerated clients
- Electronically open cases in our case management system
- Open client files on the interoffice server
- Scan and upload initial case related documents into the file
- Electronically close all cases in case management system
- Send closed files to be archived
- Excellent written, verbal communication and research skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective multitasker
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Good organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Strong proofreading skills and knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Interest in social justice work - specifically issues affecting individuals impacted by the criminal, civil and family court systems
- Experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
- An Associate’s Degree and/or experience in a legal setting is preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Applications will be accepted through April 27, 2018.
To apply, please visit our career portal at the link above, select the position of interest, click APPLY TO THIS JOB ONLINE and upload your resume and cover letter in one document when prompted. Applications without cover letters will NOT be considered. The start date for this position is immediate or as soon as possible.
Please contact Marterra Walker, Legal Administrative Manager, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the position. Please do not call to inquire about the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.