United for Respect is a national organization building the voice of people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media, relational tools, and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
Reporting to our Political Director, as our Senior Organizer: States Power Building Team, you will help grow the leadership of low wage workers that will help drive policy campaigns for economic and racial justice. Key initiatives that this position will be responsible for moving include, but are not limited to:
- Grow the leadership of working people at retail corporations and those employed as low wage workers by empowering workers to organize their workplaces and communities around public policy and corporate campaigns.
- Our campaigns focus on raising workplace standards through winning a living wage, fair workweek, paid family leave, earned sick time, and holding corporations and Wall Street accountable; as well as equitable workplaces free of sexual harassment and racial discrimination.
We encourage you to apply for this position if you are excited about worker and community empowerment and are passionate about investing time and resources into deep organizing and training. The ideal candidate excels at relationship-building, interpersonal communication, and leadership development. This position is focused on organizing for legislative and policy campaigns and will work within the States Power Building team at United for Respect.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Developing organizing plans for legislative and policy campaigns that builds worker leadership and advances UFR’s policy agenda
- Leading or supervising a staff of campaign organizers to move a deep and rigorous organizing program in their base
- Building relationships and moving campaigns and collaborative work with community partners
- Building a broad base and strong leadership of people working across major retailers through UFR’s online-to-offline organizing model that includes online social media communities, peer to peer texting, field outreach, and our digital app WorkIt
- Developing and building leadership committees to drive public and corporate policy campaigns through an inclusive process that develops their organizing and advocacy skills, generates bold actions, moves industry stakeholders and educates the public
- Working with the staff and partners to organize actions, press events and prepare testimony for public hearings
- Developing the leadership of working people to share their stories with each other and publicly, with the media and online
- Participating in strategy development and planning to grow the organizing program and advance campaigns
- Building meaningful partnerships with community and policy allies to support campaigns, our members, and core organizing work
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum 3 years as an experienced worker organizer and campaigner and/or minimum 2 years supervising a team in organizing workers and advancing campaigns, ideally while using digital strategies
- Ability to construct successful campaign strategies and organizing field plans across teams.
- Strong and proven management skills
- Experience advancing policy campaigns that include: workplace justice, severance pay, paid leave, retaliation, etc.
- Strong writing, research and communication skills
- Strong listening, persuasion and facilitation skills
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people as well as an understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income communities of color
- Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines and handle multiple projects
- Strong database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy
- Familiarity with digital strategies and online to offline organizing
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus but not necessary
We’re Excited About You Because You:
- Have a vision for funding a powerful renewal of the labor movement driven by a commitment to grassroots worker power and the leadership of working class people to define our own destiny.
- Have a proven track record and capability to lead teams and cross-departmental projects.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in managing execution of Development initiatives of different sizes
- Utilize a values-based approach when describing strategy
- Embrace technology as an enabler to help you get your job done and to collaborate in a culture that promotes passion in technology.
Salary Range: Salary range $55,000 -$85,000 depending on experience and location.
Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage and 401k. Ability to travel, when it is safe to travel again, is a must.
United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Location: National (remote)