27 Union Square West
Avaaz is winning major victories to bring about a better world and this role on the Operations team is crucial to powering that success. Avaaz’s Operations Directors would play a key role in managing the Operations Department and together with the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Team, engage in developing Avaaz’s organisational strategy and management.
You will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and work with the whole Operations Team, which also includes Senior Officers, Operations Officers, Operations Associates, Executive and Personal Assistants, and an outside team of financial controllers.
- Assisting with the oversight of Avaaz’s Operations department, including planning, development and implementation of procedures and systems across the organization.
- Helping lead financial planning and organizational budgeting processes, including overseeing budget implementation, long-term planning, financial reporting, expense tracking, and invoice approval.
- Overseeing financial and legal vendor selection and decisions.
- Managing a team member’s full life cycle, including staff orientation, contracts and renewals, leaves of absence, benefits, salary reviews, and team exits.
- Leadership in planning, visioning, and implementing the nimble growth of key infrastructural systems of the organization.
- Developing team-wide policies.
- Providing logistical support to the organisation as needed.
- Managing, training, and coaching staff to ensure individual growth.
- Keeping up-to-date on information and technology related to Avaaz’s global operations to ensure compliance.
This is a demanding role that requires remarkable talent in a wide range of areas. The main skills you will display are:
- 3-5 years of finance and/or accounting experience (Quickbooks preferred).
- Strong strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment, and social change.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Strong project and staff management skills.
- Experience working in a global organization, including managing finances in a number of currencies and ensuring compliance in multiple regulatory environments.
- Experience with business operations, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements.
Avaaz is a virtual organisation, with most of our work done over email, telephone, and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats twice per year. For this position we would prefer candidates based in the EU or Americas, but welcome other applicants in the region / time-zone. Avaaz covers office costs, either to establish a home office or to rent one, and we support staff to house themselves in local similar organisations when preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English is a requirement. Additional languages are an asset.
Minimum Education Required