BayLegal seeks an attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice to join our Youth Justice Team, which advocates for vulnerable youth in the San Francisco Bay Area. The attorney will work on a diverse range of legal issues, including foster care entry, public benefits, probate guardianships, education advocacy, immigration relief, and other civil legal practice areas. This position is based in our Oakland office and involves traveling throughout the county and potentially the Bay Area as necessary to best serve our low-income clients. See COVID-19 Temporary Remote work below.
As a BayLegal Staff Attorney and member of the Youth Justice Team you will have the opportunity:
· Learn and advocate for the diverse legal needs of underserved and vulnerable youth in Alameda county and the broader Bay Area to reduce homelessness, enhance stability and address social injustice;
· Provide workshops and technical assistance to community partners and client community on a broad range of civil legal issues;
· Develop relationships and engage in collaboration with a range of public and private community partners, including governmental agencies, courts, and community-based organizations, to ensure integrated services and address systemic barriers facing BayLegal's client community;
· Work closely with BayLegal's development, grants and contracts, and communications team to promote the importance of civil legal services in addressing poverty and social justice, BayLegal's mission and resource development;
· Engage in other tasks and projects that further BayLegal's mission and operations as a non-profit.
Requirements/Qualifications/About the Successful Candidate:
· Membership in the California State Bar, or admitted to practice in another state and eligible to practice in California for 3 years under the California State Bar rules for the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program (must pass CA bar at a later date)
· Bilingual preferred, but not required
· Experience working with and interviewing youth preferred
· Experience working with exploited, trafficked, abused and neglected youth preferred
· Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
· Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, with ability to be detail-oriented
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
· Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done
· Ability to simultaneously manage cases in different practice areas
· Humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency
Temporary COVID-19 remote work: Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all BayLegal employees are currently working remotely. While BayLegal has implemented detailed health and safety protocols to minimize risk of exposure and has an evolving plan for reopening our local offices, we anticipate remaining primarily remote at least throughout the rest of 2020. All employees are expected to be able to primarily work remotely until BayLegal determines it is safe to reopen offices. All employees are issued BayLegal computers and provided appropriate supplies. BayLegal has implemented and continues to explore additional technologies to make working remotely as efficient and connected as possible. All employees receive a flat-rate monthly amount to reimburse for work-related use of personal IT equipment, including internet, and home. Due to the COVID-19 crisis and its impact on personal lives, BayLegal is open to providing flexibility regarding work schedules and part-time or full-time employment to the extent feasible for the position.
BayLegal seeks an attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice to join our Youth Justice Team, which advocates for vulnerable youth in the San Francisco Bay Area. The attorney will work on a diverse range of legal…
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits…
Applications: BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to email@example.com. Please reference “Youth Justice Attorney” in the subject of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal's clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, seniors, people with lived experiences of homelessness, veterans, people with disabilities, and people from other underrepresented groups. BayLegal is committed to enhancing the provision of our services to all clients, increasing positive client outcomes, and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. BayLegal promotes and supports policies that enable us to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with our clients, coworkers, and the community.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to: (1) serve our diverse client base effectively, (2) work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds than your own, (3) acknowledge the systemic barriers that our clients face, and (4) contribute to our efforts to fight for racial justice? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, provide examples, and apply various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
Applications: BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly…