Details: Salary is commensurate with years of experience, and includes an annual cost-of-living adjustment. The salary for this a Level 2 Legal Assistant begins at $38,926 and increases with each year of experience.
101 Yesler Way, Suite 300
Columbia Legal Services (CLS) represents communities facing poverty and oppression, and we use every legal tool available on their behalf. CLS has a special responsibility to serve people whose access to free legal services is restricted, due to institutionalization or immigration status. Through impact litigation, policy reform, and innovative partnerships, our staff works together to further our mission to achieve social and economic justice for all, and to reveal and end actions that harm the communities we serve. We share a deep commitment to serve and advocate alongside our clients as we seek justice together.
Our vision of justice: when people have the necessary tools and opportunity to achieve social and economic justice, a more equitable and inclusive society is possible. The ideal candidate for any position at Columbia Legal Services will be able to articulate their role in the achievement of that vision.
Columbia Legal Services seeks a full-time legal assistant with a minimum of 2 years of experience to join our Institutions Project. This position supports all aspects of advocacy and office administration to meet our clients’ civil legal needs and fulfill our mission. CLS offices have a collegial atmosphere that emphasizes teamwork, flexibility, and accountability. This position is based in our Seattle office and reports to the Directing Attorney of our Institutions Project. Duties include:
- Supporting a team of four attorneys on complex litigation and other advocacy-related activities, such as preparing pleadings, correspondence, and other needed documents;
- Answering frequent incoming calls from our prison intake line and managing a high volume of prison intake correspondence;
- Maintaining electronic and hard-copy files, organizing documents and entering data;
- Distributing information by mail, fax and e-mail, managing calendars for staff attorneys, and preparing attorneys for meetings, presentations, testimony, and court appearances;
- Effectively communicating orally and in writing with clients, community agencies and organizations, and government agencies;
- Organizing meetings, trainings and conference calls;
- Conducting general research on the internet and in libraries, etc.;
- Performing other legal assistant tasks as needed, including general administrative and advocacy-related support.
- Preparing charts, one-pagers, and presentations in support of advocacy.
- 2 years of experience working as a legal assistant.
- Commitment to civil legal services and exposure to people from diverse backgrounds - all staff members are expected to strive to understand the values, cultures, and concerns of the client communities we serve.
- Comfortable with technology and willing to learn new software programs as needed, including LegalServer, Skype/Zoom, and case management tools (Concordance, CaseMap).
- Proficiency in the use of law office technology including Westlaw/LexisNexis and court document programs; Microsoft Office applications for the creation and management of complex documents, spreadsheets, and e-mail.
- Ability to work independently and participate as an effective member of the office team.
- Willingness to engage with the public, client groups and participate in community outreach.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (oral and written).
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of individuals including members of various internal departments, co-counsel, and partner organizations.
- Willingness to work across offices (primarily using internet tools).
- Familiarity with federal and state court rules.
- Proficiency with Access or other database software preferred.
- Bilingual skills in Spanish/English are a plus.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
CLS offers a competitive and comprehensive compensation package including generous holiday and paid time off, excellent employee health care benefits, paid parental leave, a 35-hour-workweek, a transportation benefit, and a sabbatical every 7 years. Salary is commensurate with years of experience, and includes an annual cost-of-living adjustment. The salary for a Level 2 Legal Assistant begins at $38,926 and increases with each year of experience. This is a bargaining unit position and is eligible for representation by Washington Legal Workers, our in-house labor union.
Columbia Legal Services is committed to a policy of pluralism and equal opportunity in an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices for its client communities, Board and staff. Pluralism refers to the active promotion of mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity among people who are diverse in work background, experience, education, race, color, national origin, sex, age, religious preference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental and physical abilities, veteran status, or any other perceived differences. The resulting diversity is both a source of program strength and a matter of fundamental human fairness. If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application process, contact us at 206-464-1122 or email@example.com.
CLS offers a competitive and comprehensive compensation package including generous holiday and paid time off, excellent employee health care benefits, paid parental leave, a 35-hour-workweek, a transportation benefit, and a sabbatical every 7 years.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bilingual skills in Spanish/English are a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position is open until filled, with priority given to applications received before November 2nd, 2018. Please note that due to the volume of applications received, CLS is unable to respond to every application. CLS will contact you if we decide to pursue your application. If e-mailed, please make Institutions Project Legal Assistant your subject line. If you are interested in this position, send a cover letter, resume, and a completed Equity Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Trisa Kern, Director of Program Administration
Columbia Legal Services
101 Yesler Way Suite 300
Seattle, Washington, 98104
Or email them to: