5100 Poplar Avenue
The Instructor/Mentor Coordinator will provide skills assessments, conduct group instruction and educate program participants, who are youth/young adults or returning citizens in job readiness and life skills training. He/She will work with Case Managers to ensure client pipeline and skills gaps are being addressed to meet employer hiring demands.
The Instructor Coordinator position will also be responsible for creating a high quality mentoring program which involves recruiting, training and screening adult volunteers and matching them with participants for mentoring activities in a one on one and group setting. Responsibilities also include interviewing and screening the program participants, providing follow-up support once mentor matches are made, planning and conducting training workshops, and other program activities.
Primary Job Functions:
- Conduct sessions using career exploration, life skills and job readiness curricula at designated training site;
- Researches and assesses local industry and market intelligence to ensure understanding of local employment trends with a focus on employment in high demand industries;
- Organizes community service activities to support client development of pro-social behaviors and leadership abilities and prepare them for the workplace;
- Connects interested and qualified clients to the Operation Jump Start entrepreneurship training;
- Secures opportunities for clients to receive technical training leading to an industry recognized credential
- Develop lesson plans that support career exploration, life skills and job readiness curricula;
- Conduct all group instruction for program participants.
- Recruit volunteers from the community to work with all program participants;
- Plan and implement at least one activity per month for mentors;
- Make weekly contact with volunteer mentors;
- Plan three training workshops per year for each team;
- Assist in other programmatic functions as required, such as special events, to support the program;
- Represent the agency on community youth/reentering citizens committees;
- Communicate with volunteers and clients regarding activities, workshops, etc.;
- Develop partnerships with sponsors to provide free/discount passes for program activities.
- Travel regularly throughout Shelby County is required.
- Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Complete and assist with other projects as assigned
Interacts with: Program Staff, Program Partners, Grizzlies TEAM UP Mentoring Partnership, local government agencies, Mid-South Management team, Information Technology Department, and various community stakeholders.
Education and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in counseling, education or social work
- Prior experience managing a mentoring program and providing instruction utilizing a career readiness curriculum
- Experience working in a fast paced outcome/performance driven environment
- Experience working with non-profit organizations, community groups, and/or government programs and experience working with youth and/or young adults from underserved communities
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills with the ability to engage groups effectively
- Strong computer/database skills
- Demonstrates a history of long term relationship management with clients/customers/employers
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and flexibility to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send their resume and a brief cover letter to: email@example.com, with the subject line “Instructor Coordinator Turning Point Program. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to personally acknowledge the receipt and status of each one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Seedco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Criminal background check is required.