Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Teacher’s Aide
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Educational/Center Director
Hours: Part Time
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Group Teacher, the Teacher’s Aide will assist in the planning and execution of a program that implements an approved agency curriculum to provide day care for children. This program will take into account the educational, social, developmental and health needs of the group, as well as the individual child. The Teacher’s Aide will work within the framework of Union Settlement to carry out its functions, policies and procedures; observe the schedules in the center; and adhere to its established personnel policies and practices.
- Assist in developing a program of sound educational goals appropriate to the age and developmental level of children to enable them to make the most of future educational opportunities.
- Assist in creating and executing weekly lesson plans in accordance with the approved agency curriculum.
- Keep equipment and material accessible and in good condition to encourage maximum constructive use by the children.
- Remove and/or report any damaged or hazardous equipment to the Educational/Site Director or designated individual so necessary action may be taken.
- Assist in the planning of appropriate arrangement of classroom furniture designed to promote optimal program functioning.
- Maintain good working relationships and objective attitudes with classroom staff.
- Expand professional growth and development through participation in individual and classroom group conferences and related training opportunities.
- Inform and share information regarding the program and children with parents.
- Ensure confidentiality of all information regarding children and parents.
- Participate in regularly scheduled supervision meetings with Educational/Center Director and/or Group Teacher. Discuss professional performance objectively and utilize supervision as a source of information and professional guidance.
- Update and maintain all records as are required and necessary for the effective administration of the center and the development of the program. Share records and work with appropriate classroom and center staff.
- Perform routine duties in the classroom and center related to all functions of the program.
- Fulfill the overall classroom function of the Group Teacher in his or her absence, when requested.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Group Teacher, Educational/Center Director, and the Director of Early Childhood Education.
- At minimum, documentation of enrollment to an accredited college or university, taking courses to obtain an Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field; or a Child Development Associate credential (CDA); or documentation of enrollment in a CDA credential program that will be completed in two years.
- One years’ experience working with pre-school age children preferred.
- Successful Personal Employment Tracking System (PETS) and State Central Registry (SCR) clearances required.
- Child Abuse and Maltreatment training certification.
- Infectious Disease Control training certification required.
- Foundations in Health and Safety training required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards preferred, but not required.
- A dedicated work ethic combined with excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills.
- Good computer skills and writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
- A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents in the East Harlem community.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
To Apply: Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, and 3 References to: email@example.com. Please indicate Teacher’s Aide in the subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER