Echo Park: 1714 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026
After-School Tutoring Program Coordinator
Based out of 826LA in Echo Park
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, support for English language learners, and we produce student publications. All of our programs are offered at no cost to students and families, are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in the student’s individual voice.
About the position:
The After-School Tutoring Program Coordinator is responsible for overseeing After-School Tutoring at 826LA in Echo Park. This program focuses on homework help as well as developing students’ interest and skills in reading and writing. This Program Coordinator works closely with the Echo Park programming and volunteer team, as well as the programs teams at Mar Vista and In-schools, and the development team at 826LA. Outside of staff, the After-School Tutoring Program Coordinator maintains relationships with program students and families, volunteers, schools, teachers, and community resources. The Programs Coordinator reports to, and is supported by, the Programs Manager at Echo Park.
- Manages daily operations for After-School homework tutoring and writing activities, which serves students ages 6 to 12, and runs Monday through Thursday;
- Creates a supportive environment in tutoring programs through creation and knowledge of individual student educational goals, with communication between teachers, students, parents or guardians, and volunteers;
- Acts as a Spanish-speaking parent and family liaison for the Echo Park site;
- Collects and maintains up-to-date student files, and coordinates all program evaluations;
- Manages daily volunteer attendance, relationships, trainings, and communication in the
- After-School Tutoring program to ensure sufficient volunteer numbers, with the support of the
- Volunteer Team.
- Manages the wait list for tutoring programs and performs community outreach for
- After-School Tutoring to target area schools and organizations as needed;
- Is an advocate for all 826LA programs and projects and works to refer and include tutoring
- students when possible;
- Oversees the writing, editing, publication, production, and celebrations for publications for the
- AST program, as well as Student of the Month, and additional projects as necessary or
- Coordinates summer programming; onboards, trains, and oversees temporary summer staff,
- and manages and supports tutoring and summer programming interns;
- Facilitates regular Family and Youth Advisory Board meetings (FAB and YAB);
- Supports 826LA programs and events as necessary;
- Reports directly to the Programs Manager in Echo Park.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
- Spanish language skills required;
- College diploma required;
- A passion for writing, education and especially 826LA’s mission required;
- Strong communication skills, both written and interpersonal required;
- Excellent organizational skills required;
- Strong ability to multi-task, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment;
- Classroom management experience preferred;
- A commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA
- programming desired;
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programs team members, and
- a sense of humor desired.
This position is FULL TIME, Monday through Friday, and the flexibility to work occasionally on evenings and weekends is necessary. Benefits include two weeks vacation, participation in 826LA’s health and dental care plan, 401K, and life insurance plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language skills required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- In order to be considered for the After-School Tutoring Coordinator position, you must thoroughly complete this online application, and send the following to jobs@826LA.org:
- Link: https://goo.gl/forms/ngxraDkSfsxycDhr1
- A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA
- A detailed resume
- A list of three references
- Please include your name and "After-School Tutoring Coordinator" in the subject line.
- Please note that only complete applications--with cover letter, resume, and references sent to jobs@826LA.org--will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.