Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC’s Global Communications Department seeks a passionate and highly skilled Assistant Director of Media Engagement to cultivate and manage media relationships in order to ensure ongoing, positive coverage of the organization, its activities, and its policy positions.
The specific responsibilities outlined below are not exhaustive. The ideal candidate will be able to identify new communications opportunities as they arise and work collaboratively to develop and execute them.
The Assistant Director of Media Engagement does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
● Develop and maintain close working relationships with reporters, editors, producers, bookers, and other relevant professionals in general and Jewish news organizations;
● Proactively ensure ongoing, positive media coverage of AJC activities and policy positions in the news media, with a particular emphasis on major news outlets;
● Facilitate appearances by senior AJC professionals on relevant television and radio networks, podcasts, online news platforms, and other outlets as needed;
● Position AJC as a go-to source for information and commentary on our core issues, particularly in periods of heightened media interest;
● Devise and produce proactive media campaigns on AJC activities and issues, in concert with relevant agency professionals;
● Facilitate the news media’s presence at major AJC events and programs;
● Monitor and report on media coverage of AJC activities and policy positions;
● Serve as a backup drafter and sender of press releases and other written content, as needed;
● Closely follow relevant news and develop and communicate AJC’s response in a timely manner, in concert with organizational leadership and other stakeholders;
● Additional relevant responsibilities, as needed.
● Three to five years of experience in media relations, journalism, or public relations;
● Bachelor’s degree;
● Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
● Demonstrable ability to develop and maintain close working relationships with journalists and other media professionals that produce significant and positive news coverage
● Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
● Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization, and pleasant demeanor;
● Flexible work style with the ability to work late and on weekends;
● Ability to meet tight deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment,
● High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
● Grasp of current events, particularly as they affect American Jewry, the Jewish people, and Israel;
● Commitment to AJC’s global mission and familiarity with the Jewish community.
● Existing relationships in the general and/or Jewish news media – preferred
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/r1lmjbaq18xayke/
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the…
Full Comprehensive Benefits Package
Full Comprehensive Benefits Package