Educational Alliance, a 128 year old New York institution, is a vibrant, dynamic organization serving New Yorkers from all walks of life. We serve everyone regardless of the language they speak, where they come from, or their socioeconomic status. We believe that everyone should have a chance to live a better life and that arts and culture, education, health and wellness, and social services can help lay that foundation.
Educational Alliance Preschool at Manny Cantor Center is a progressive early childhood center that welcomes families of all backgrounds, serving children ages 0-5. Teachers and children work collaboratively to co-construct a curriculum that draws inspiration from the children’s interests. Families are our partners, joining together with children and teachers to create a seamless connection between home and school. Exploration, play, open-ended questions, and beautiful spaces provide an excellent framework for learning.
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Holidays, Floating Holidays and Personal Days
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Free Gym Membership to our Manny Cantor Center Gym
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance
- Generous Vacation Package
Working within inspired and dynamic teams, our 2s Teachers are helping to build a vision for progressive education on the Lower East Side. Inspired by the preschools of Reggio Emilia, we believe that all children learn through inquiry, exploration and play in the context of strong relationships and a sense of belonging.
Our teachers create responsive, safe, joyful and nurturing learning environments for children that foster inquiry, exploration, learning & reflection; collaborate with co-teachers to plan an emergent curriculum based on observations of children’s interests and development; document children’s learning through photographs, anecdotes, panels and ministories; facilitate communication and collaboration between the family and the preschool.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
• Facilitate daily life and plan learning experiences in the classroom
• Build relationships with families and communicate about children’s learning and development in person and through documentation.
• Partner with the teaching staff and administration in the overall philosophy and direction of the preschool.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Planning, Preparation + Curriculum Development
- Co-constructing curriculum, based on children’s interests, questions and development
- Documenting, reflecting and planning from observations
- Participating in weekly planning meetings with teaching team
- Planning and creating a classroom environment with inquiry, exploration, learning and respect in mind
- Create a warm and inclusive environment where children and families feel welcome
- Organizing physical space and selection of materials in a way that is inviting and accessible to children
- Creating visual evidence of the narratives and curriculum occurring in your classroom
Interactions with Children
- Speaking and listening to children with respect and mindfulness
- Supervising the whole group, while giving individual attention
- Managing classroom procedures including transitions, routines and small groups
- Engage students in exploration and ongoing project work
- Scaffolding children through conflict and problem solving
Relationships with Families
- Building respectful and reciprocal relationships with families
- Communicating consistently with families
- Documenting children’s learning, development and progress
- Maintaining collaborative and professional relationships with colleagues
- Mentoring Associate and Assistant teachers
- Participating in weekly professional learning meetings
- Showing professionalism including integrity, ethical conduct and decision making
- The candidate will be reflective, ask questions, be willing to take risks and make mistakes
- Lead Teachers: MA in Early Childhood/ Elementary Education | New York State N-6 or PreK-6 certification or study plan
- Minimum 3 years of professional teaching experience in an early childhood setting preferred
- Available to work a mix of morning and afternoon shifts (8am-4pm or 10am-6pm) to cover extended day preferred
- Strong oral and written communication with parents, children and co-workers
Role Key Competencies
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Minimum Education Required