We are a small team of dedicated nonprofit professionals who are accelerating the development of high performance, animal-free, and more sustainable materials for the fashion, automotive, and home goods industries. The organization is a little over a year old and looking for a part-time professional to manage the remote operations for the small team, all of whom work at home across multiple states and countries. Although this position is currently part-time, it has the potential to grow into a full-time job along with the organization's growth. We are also a family friendly organization and offer flexible schedules and significant autonomy.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to manage day-to-day operations of the organization, including but not limited to office administration, human resources, finance, payroll, IT, and internal systems. The Director of Operations will be responsible for:
Managing all aspects of the Operations Department, including supervising staff, overseeing department spending, and providing visionary leadership.
- Working with accounting firms to manage the organization’s finance and accounting procedures, including payment of invoices and check requests.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the executive director, administer and review all financial plans and budgets, and monitor progress and changes.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, program, and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; draft and ensure compliance with the finance department’s policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Serving as the organization’s human resources manager and creating and implementing the organization’s human resources policies, including time off reporting, maintenance of employee files, hiring and separation protocols, government reporting, managing the payroll system, grievance procedures, and all other workplace issues.
- Overseeing new employee recruitment efforts, including writing job descriptions, evaluating candidates, corresponding with applicants, and ensuring the hiring process is implemented accurately.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as the employee’s remote work environments including our international staff to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Following all human resource and operational procedures and ensuring the organization is in full compliance.
Technology and Administration
- Developing, implementing, and evaluating administrative systems and procedures to further effective collaboration and efficiency across the organization.
- Overseeing IT tasks and systems and all other operations-related work to ensure our remote staff has the necessary support to be effective.
- Ensuring the organization has the necessary technology to accomplish its goals including drafting SOPs and overseeing Google Drive organization, our client management system (Copper), project management system (Asana), remote communications (Zoom), and all other software programs.
Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
We are currently looking for a director of operations to focus on setting up and overseeing our financial, human resources, administrative, and technology systems. The person in this position must have:
- Prior experience setting up and overseeing human resources and financial systems.
- Prior experience with international contractors.
- Experience at a nonprofit is a strong plus.
- Experience with remote staff is a strong plus.
- Very well organized and can manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good with people.
- Strong support for MII’s philosophy and mission.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Part-time, exempt
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Location: Remote
- Benefits: Working from home, medical insurance, flexible holiday and vacation plans, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- Salary: nonprofit salary, commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but we are looking to have someone in this position asap.