20 Jay Street
Are you a consummate connector, passionate about social justice and a lover of great documentary? Us too!
Doc Society (formerly known as BRITDOC) is seeking a skilled social justice professional to join our Brooklyn-based team as Outreach Manager for the Good Pitch programme in the US, connecting the nations’ best social justice films with new allies and partners. Think you fit the bill?
Qualified candidates must have 5+ years experience and a strong track record of reaching, engaging and building networks of activist and leaders across multiple sectors. Experience in documentary impact producing a plus; managing campaign contact data and strong communications skills a necessity. Doc Society is a small on-profit with global reach. Position is permanent full-time and starts fall 2018, generous benefits package is offered, salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Doc Society (formerly known as BRITDOC) is seeking a skilled, experienced and highly-motivated individual to join our New York-based team as Outreach Manager for the US Good Pitch program. Connecting the worlds best social justice films with new allies and partners.
The Outreach Manager will lead multi-sector research, outreach and engagement to organizers and activists, nonprofits, funders, media platforms, and other potential partners for US based Good Pitch events in 2018 & 19.
We are a small, dynamic organisation which pivots easily and elegantly in response to the needs of the filmmakers and communities we serve. We embrace new ideas. We roll our sleeves up. We deliver with attention, smarts, rigour and perfectionism. We improvise. We’re looking for someone who wants to join us in getting the job done right no matter what.
Doc Society is an international non-profit founded in 2005, it funds and supports nonfiction film and creates opportunities for great documentaries to reach audiences globally with offices in London and NYC. We are a team of 20+ individuals with partners around the world.
The Good Pitch, our flagship public program, is building a vibrant global network of filmmakers and change makers. Good Pitch has helped amplify the social justice campaigns of films such as Bully, Whose Streets, Chasing Coral, Unrest and Virunga through long lasting connections with new allies and partners. The program supports media makers and change-makers with tools, workshops, and the production of a highly curated day-long pitching and networking event. Created by Doc Society in partnership with Ford Foundation and Sundance Institute in 2008, the program has presented more than 34 events for feature docs in 8 countries and 15 cities, plus 4 Local events for short form local media, and dozens of Impact Labs and the first-ever online Impact Field Guide and Toolkit.
Doc Society is committed to equity and inclusion. We seek to address inequities and systemic injustice based on gender, race, ethnicity and socio-economic status in how we disperse funding and provide support for storytellers, in how we curate cultural programs, and as we shape our own organization for the future.
In fall 2018, the New York team will focus on outreach and production of Good Pitch Local in Philadelphia.
- Passionate about the potential for powerful coalitions of changemakers combined with great nonfiction storytelling to make a positive difference in the world.
- Research and mapping of potential participants for Good Pitch events in collaboration with Doc Society team and partners, with an initial focus on Good Pitch Local events in Philadelphia in fall 2018.
- Pursue prospects (local and national organizations, press, media, funders, mediamakers) via email and phone to secure their participation. Write concise and effective outreach communications, track engagement with hundreds of people and organizations such that entire team can access current data.
- Produce communications materials including custom notes for event moderators.
- Collate evaluation and monitoring information for each edition of the Good Pitch program as per the needs of our funders and partners.
- Contribute to overall strategy, research and planning of future Good Pitch events in the US.
Good Pitch Local events focus on one major city and region, highlighting local stories and partners. An equal mix of media makers and change makers are selected to pitch. Doc Society team provides tools and support to craft their 3 minutes pitches. Outreach is thus focused locally and involves researching 800+ potential participants, to create an event of 175 attendees that include the most effective and impactful local organizations, funders, media partners and community leaders, and the most representative and inclusive group possible to participate in the event.
The Outreach manager invites and processes applications for pitches at the live GP Local event and manages a collaborative curation process with Doc Society program team, and local partners, and works with Producer to help prepare presenters and finalize featured project content at the event.
Have a minimum of five years experience in issue area mapping and leading social sector outreach work and/or documentary impact producing ,and deep knowledge of CRM (constituent relationship management) and social justice campaigns.
- Highly organized, effective and proactive communicator, equally comfortable on email, social and direct verbal communication, and adept at working with a wide variety of constituent groups from across multiple sectors and work styles.
- Excited to work with a nimble, creative and innovative, international non-profit which supports great documentary film and creates programs to advance their impact globally.
- A good listener, able to quickly research and gain understanding of issue areas and communities and navigate complex relationships with grace.
- Experience in community organizing, local coalition building and live community events a plus.
- A strategic thinker, able to assess opportunities, make connections and envision potential outcomes.
- Comfortable working in an agile and entrepreneurial organization and happy to work across multiple projects to tight deadlines. Carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports Doc Society values and promotes equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion.
- Be an ambassador for Doc Society and maintain a professional approach at all times
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably required
Please be available for interview preferably in person at the Brooklyn office and/or via skype for out of town candidates. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete an assessment in advance and an aptitude based exercise at interview. Ideal start date is mid-September
Should you have not heard from us by October 19, please assume that your application has not been successful. We will be unable to give feedback to applicants not selected for interview.
To learn more about Doc Society, its activities and core values, please visit www.docsociety.org and www.GoodPitch.org/Local. See below for more information on Good Pitch Local.
The Doc Society Inc office is located in Dumbo neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York and is shared with other creatives in a bright, open plan office. Occasional travel may be required with advance notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Doc Society Inc, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Salary: commensurate with experience and skills
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday 9am-5pm. Extended work hours including evenings and weekends may be required during peak production periods.
Holiday: 19 days paid annual leave + 9 days holiday
Health, dental and vision benefits, further details shared with shortlisted candidates.
Report to: Patricia Finneran, Producer, Good Pitch, Doc Society
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Process Please send your resumé and a cover letter detailing:
- How you meet the job specification
- What you can bring to the role
- Why you’d like to be part of Doc Society and the Good Pitch Local program.
Please do not apply if you are looking to work in film production as this is not a film production job.
Please email applications to Shannon Thomas, Office Manager, Doc Society, Shannon@docsociety.org, with “Outreach Manager, Good Pitch” in the subject line.