Details: Competitive salary, commensurate with skills and experience.
1107 9th Street
To assist Housing CA in growing public support and political will for investments in, preservation of, and protection for people who critically need affordable homes across California, Housing CA seeks an Associate Director with political strategy acumen and non-profit leadership fortitude. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The Associate Director works in close coordination with the Executive Director to support the advancement of Housing CA’s vision and implementation of Housing CA’s strategic plan by:
1. Guiding, coordinating, and supervising Housing CA’s political strategy and campaigns.
2. Managing the advocacy, power building, and communications staff and day-to-day activities.
3. Maintaining relationships with existing multi-sector coalitions, networks, and agencies.
4. Undertaking other organizational responsibilities including fundraising, reporting, and public speaking to advance the mission of Housing CA.
In 2018, the Associate Director will focus a significant portion of their time on guiding and supportingHousing CA’s strategic direction for and engagement in the passage of the $4 Billion Veterans and Affordable Housing Act, in coordination with partners across California.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Campaign and Field Strategic Direction
With guidance from the Executive Director:
- Direct Housing CA’s political strategy - serve as lead strategist on Housing CA’s campaigns with responsibility for researching, developing, and coordinating implementation of campaigns, including building and activating new systems for legislative campaigns and electoral work.
- Guide organization’s efforts to secure public support and political will through multi-level, bi-partisan, and other unconventional pathways.
- Oversee creation of an annual work plan to advance Housing CA’s vision and strategic plan implementation.
- Enhance coordination among and synchronization between Housing CA’s policy advocacy, campaign, coalition, power-building, and communication efforts.
- Oversee the development of strategic communication materials and an annual impact report.
Organizational and Staff Management
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities, including overseeing planning efforts and guiding the work of the organization’s state level advocacy, strategic communications, and statewide community engagement staff; approve timesheets, travel reimbursements, time off requests, conduct annual performance reviews, and address other staff issues.
- Build, maintain, and encourage a productive working relationship and positive morale among staff.
- Participate with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and staff in developing and executing the current and future strategic plans to ensure Housing CA’s growth, sustainability, and success.
- Support fundraising activities including proposal development, grant writing, and progress report completion.
- Participate in the selection and creation of workshops for the Annual Conference and take part in other conference-related activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Public Relations & Relationship Building
In coordination with the Executive Director:
- Strengthen the organization’s reputation as a thought leader and coalition partner by representing Housing CA at external events and in public forums.
- Maintain existing relationships with multi-sector partners and advocates for housing, homelessness and other groups that lie at the intersection of housing and other social justice issues, including criminal justice, education, public health, health care, climate change, labor, government, and child welfare.
Competitive salary, commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include fully paid medical, dental, vision, long-term disability and group life coverage for the employee, commute reimbursement, and retirement plan with employer contribution.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume with the subject line: Associate Director Job Application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a brief writing sample from current or previous work (5 pages maximum). Deadline to apply is Thursday, May 24, 2018. The interview process will include two rounds of interviews, with an anticipated start date of mid-July.
Housing CA is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ persons, people of different levels of physical ability, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.