520 NW Davis St, Suite 215
Cascade AIDS Project (CAP), the oldest and largest AIDS Service Organization (ASO) in Oregon and Southwest Washington, is committed to preventing HIV infections, supporting and empowering all people with or affect by HIV, reduce stigma, and provide the LGBTQ+ community with compassionate healthcare. Learn more about us at http://www.cascadeaids.org/.
CAP is currently hiring a full-time (1.0 FTE) PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) Navigator to oversee the planning and implementation of CAP’s PrEP navigation services, including education, outreach, and medication adherence services, promoting knowledge about PrEP and prevention skills amongst people at risk for HIV. This position will be the primary staff person leading the planning and implementation of CAP’s PrEP work.
• Conducting person-centered PrEP education, adherence counseling, and patient assistance programs navigation services with a focus on participant recruitment, engagement, and retention.
o Providing participants and community members with basic PrEP education.
o Recruiting participants at high-risk for HIV into PrEP education and navigation services.
o Providing assistance to clients in finding a medical provider and navigating through medication payment options including patient assistance programs as well as insurance enrollment.
o Conducting follow-up to offer adherence counseling.
• Providing outreach through in-person tabling, HIV/STI testing, community presentations, social media, and geosocial networking apps (i.e. Grindr) to reach all relevant communities with a focus on men who have sex with men.
• Coordination of PrEP referral and linkage to care services with CAP’s HIV/STI testing staff and volunteers.
• Designing, implementing, and distributing advertising and educational campaigns for PrEP in the Portland metro and surrounding areas.
• Updating and maintaining information of providers with Oregon and Washington State who prescribe PrEP and who provide their services in a culturally affirming manner.
• Working closely with healthcare providers in a healthcare setting with clients who are interested in PrEP.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is experienced in community health and has a strong commitment to coordinating a program that involves multiple stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have a passion for ensuring people have access to health care as well addressing barriers to PrEP through advocacy and education efforts with consumers and providers. This position is based at CAP’s Davis Street office with travel to other locations throughout Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas Counties, including the Multnomah County STD Clinic and Prism Health, CAP’s newly opened LGBTQ-focused primary care health center in SE Portland. Evening and weekend work is required. This is a non-management, union-represented position.
This position is funded through 6/30/2019 with possible extension.
• Four (4) years of relevant work experience (i.e. community health, social services, etc.) or Two (2) years’ of relevant work experience combined with a Bachelor’s Degree in human/social services field (social work, public or community health, psychology) or related field
• Understanding of how HIV is transmitted and prevented as well familiarity with PrEP
• Experience working with ethnic, racial, economic, and sexually diverse populations and a strong understanding of issues relevant to gay/bi/trans men, people living with HIV, communities of color, and the LBGTQ community and how those issues affect or influence service delivery
• Experience with project management including, but not limited to: engaging community partners, creating work plans, providing communications to donors and stakeholders, overseeing volunteers, managing deadlines, and ensuring smooth program implementation
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with accountability; exercise sound judgment, discretion, and professionalism at all times
• Experience collaborating extensively with members of a team and/or community stakeholders to ensure clients experience successful services centered around their needs
• Demonstrated computer and keyboard proficiency using Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and working knowledge of the internet including social media platforms and applications
• Valid Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle.*
• In depth knowledge of and experience with PrEP, including various barriers to access, familiarity with payment assistance programs, and helping individuals navigate decision making around taking PrEP, as well as the primary care system
• Previous experience working with transgender individuals and/or with communities of color
• Previous experience conducting HIV counseling and testing, including phlebotomy
• Previous professional or volunteer experience working in HIV prevention and/or delivering sexual health education programs
• Verbal and written fluency in Spanish
• Experience and/or knowledge of the Oregon’s health insurance marketplace (OHIM)/Healthcare.gov, Oregon Health Plan (OHP), and/or the ONE system
• Knowledge of health literacy and/or navigating health care and health insurance systems
• Familiarity with Critical Time Intervention, Assertive Community Treatment or Intensive Case Management models of service
NOTE: This is a union represented position.
Compensation: $41,923 annually, based on the union contract; employer-paid health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan with generous employer matching contribution, 125C cafeteria savings plan; generous vacation and health leave benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Closing Date: Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis with the first review of applications the week of August 13th. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for this position, mail, email, fax, or deliver the following three documents:
1) a complete cover letter (attached as Word or pdf) that serves as an example of your writing and addresses how you meet all of the required qualifications specific to the position you are applying for,
2) your resume, and
3) a completed CAP Employment application (available at http://www.cascadeaids.org/about/careers/) to:
Cascade AIDS Project
PrEP Navigator Position
520 NW Davis St., Suite 215
Portland, Oregon 97209
Or by email to:
Cascade AIDS Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.