ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. We develop strategies to put an end to policies and practices holding Black people back while championing the solutions that move all people forward. As a national force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more humane and less hostile world for Black people in America. In 2005, Color Of Change was founded in response to the realization that during the Hurricane Katrina crisis, no one was afraid to disappoint Black people. There were no consequences for Black people being left stranded on their roofs to die, nor was there sufficient infrastructure among Black communities to aggregate our power and demand them for those that perpetuated or refused to acknowledge the tragic injustice. Color Of Change is impacting lives by introducing accountability into the systems of decision-making. We leverage emerging technologies and our media savvy and sharp focus to build the power it takes to move decision-makers in corporations, media, and government to drive meaningful change for Black people in service of ending injustice for all oppressed groups.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an exceptional, experienced, and highly dedicated Human Resources Generalist. The Human Resource Generalists will play an integral role in our continued growth and success. Under the supervision of the Director of HR & Compliance, the Human Resources Generalist is responsible for a variety of HR daily operations including management of HRIS database, ensuring COC is in good standing and in compliance with all Federal & State regulations, oversee benefits administration, as well as conducting HR research, reporting, and special projects. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone who is passionate about human resources and is able to work both independently and collaboratively, while also prioritizing a diverse workload. This position will be based in the Washington D.C. office location.
- Act as overall benefit administrator and participate in special projects and initiatives; research, analyze data, generate reports and provide general support to the HR & Compliance team as needed.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, and employment law.
- Assist with employee onboarding/offboarding, employee status changes, and other updates in the HRIS system; act as a backup to conduct exit interviews.
- Responsible for conducting stay interviews; identifying and reporting trends/issues; follow-up with staff as needed and filter feedback to the Director of HR & Compliance if necessary.
- Participate in the development and implementation of human resources policies and procedures; assists with preparing and maintaining the employee handbook to improve the compliance posture of the organization.
- Act as a trusted advisor to employees in the interpretation of HR policies and procedures.
- Participate in developing department goals, objectives, budget, and systems.
- Manage relationships with benefits vendors to provide excellent service to COC staff; ensure all staff members are aware of their benefits options and eligibility and encourage staff to take advantage of the benefits available to them.
- Works to encourage staff participation in retirement planning; assist with the coordination of 401K training sessions and communications to staff.
- Promote EAP, mental health, and other behavioral programs as part of overall staff wellness; communicate activities and information via electronic media, and other methods of communication.
- Compiles metrics and produces various reports.
- Answers questions from staff and managers, providing information, interpretation of policies, and advice about the workplace.
- Reinforces company culture and values and works to support a positive work environment and morale among staff.
- Enforces company policies and works to reduce company threats and liabilities.
- Familiarizes employees with policies and procedures orientation, email, discussions, etc.
- Participate in the annual benefit open enrollment process; work with vendors to plan for benefit renewal and implementation processes; draft staff announcements, provide resources and assistance to staff as needed.
- Conduct periodic audits of electronic staff records and systems to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Executes various HR programs (performance management, benefits, EEO & diversity, and awards & recognition) through training and implementation.
- Participate in the performance evaluation process including manager’s timelines, ensuring deadlines are met and completed evaluations are submitted to HR and filed.
- Serve as a back-up to the HR & Compliance Coordinator as needed.
- Serve as a back-up to the Talent & Recruitment Team as needed.
- Completes special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years proven experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience as an HR Generalist; PHR or SHRM-CP certification desired but not required.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying federal, state, and local laws and statutes that govern employment policies and practices.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive)
- A high degree of discretion, professional ethics, and judgment in confidential matters and information.
- Ability to communicate the COC culture and support an engaged work environment.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent communication, excellent customer service.
- Ability to analyze problems, gather pertinent data and recommend solutions.
- Ability to maintain composure and good judgment when dealing with deadlines, dissatisfied staff, or a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to analyze problems, gather pertinent data, and recommend solutions.
- Strong organizational skills are required to meet recurring deadlines and maintain tracking systems related to human resources and recruiting information.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities as needed.
- Desire to work as a team with a results-driven approach.
- Some travel may be required (typically less than 10% of the year).
- A commitment to Color Of Change’s mission of advancing racial justice and contributing to a less hostile world for Black people.
HOW TO APPLY
Click the "Apply for this position" link below and submit a resume and COC-specific cover letter. Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
The salary for the HR Generalist position is $72,000/year. This is a full-time exempt position. Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any staff or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.